Are we so small in the universe?

:laughing Phee......

Pick 3 of them, pick one scripture, they all say the same thing...maybe just different words that mean the same thing!

My most treasured Bible :happy: is the one I have that was written back in 1868

written all shaksperian and all....

among the 3-5-6-7- that I have....

They really do all say the same things....

Even if the words are different, the meaning is all the same.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:laughing Phee......

Pick 3 of them, pick one scripture, they all say the same thing...maybe just different words that mean the same thing!

My most treasured Bible :happy:  is the one I have that was written back in 1868

written all shaksperian and all....

among the 3-5-6-7- that I have....

They really do all say the same things....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The meanings aren't even all the same between the various books. =P

The important ones don't change, but the really important ones aren't even necessarily christian- like "do unto others."

with the notable exception of john 3:16. I sure hope they keep that one the same in all the versions.

typically, no they don't - they may have similarities, but if they all said the same thing, we wouldn';t have need of all of them... they're all based on different interpretations of what the original meant. and if nobody knows what the original meaning really was, how can you devote your life to a specific set of rules that very well may be a mis-interpretation? wouldn't that suck to die & find out the guy who translated/reworded the scriptures made a mistake, and you're going to hell because of it!? (just an example... :happy: )

I would say Christian...more than anything.,...I guess.

I believe that the scriptures are real.

The only reason I sway towards the beliefs that I do, is becaue I see the hooplah bullshit in Christianity as we know it.

I think we may have different ideals of "Christians"

I'm not all into that whole trinity hail mary crap.

it's all bullshit.

(to Me)

Ohh let me kgo say 10 hail mary's to atone for my horrible sin, just so I can go do it again and do my hail marys again...no.  not how it works.

Oh let me go tell the preist of my sins so he can tell me how many hail mary's to do?

No.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's nothing wrong with that; it just sounds to me that you're carrying around some excess baggage of the rules of Christianity. I mean, hell, in Leviticus (if I recall correctly), it says that you should kill gay people. Now, I'm guessing that you don't agree with that, Kelly. There are a lot of archaic and outdated rules in the bible. Everyone can agree on the absolutes (don't kill, steal, etc.) but it's the gray areas that will always be a debate. I wouldn't waste my time and effort feeling bad if you don't happen to live up to some of those rules. I don't meant you should never feel guilty, but I think you're holding yourself to an unreachable standard. I mean, you're only human after all. =)

There's nothing wrong with that; it just sounds to me that you're carrying around some excess baggage of the rules of Christianity.  I mean, hell, in Leviticus (if I recall correctly), it says that you should kill gay people.  Now, I'm guessing that you don't agree with that, Kelly.  There are a lot of archaic and outdated rules in the bible.  Everyone can agree on the absolutes (don't kill, steal, etc.) but it's the gray areas that will always be a debate.  I wouldn't waste my time and effort feeling bad if you don't happen to live up to some of those rules.  I don't meant you should never feel guilty, but I think you're holding yourself to an unreachable standard.  I mean, you're only human after all.  =)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you were to ask me (and yeah, i know, you didn't, whatev), it's not so much that the morals outlined in Leviticus are unattainable... but who would want to? I met this guy a few weeks ago at trixie's who's pretty much a psychotic fundamentalist... talking about the gay agenda and crap, how it erodes the american christian family...

but he doesn't have a job. he even sold his car for the cash, and he says as long as he never graduates, he can just keep taking out student loans and living off them. all this and he has a baby daughter with a woman he was never married to, and i'm sure he can't afford to support her. Guh.

so yeah. i more or less ignore what the bible has to say about morals, because if you just go by that, you stop worrying about WHY you hold specific moral positions.

religion and afterlife aside, act from a center of love, treat all others with respect. that, in a nutshell, is my entire belief system. (and sure, i'm not totally there yet - but i'm always striving for it)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's what spirituality in this country should be =P

typically, no they don't - they may have similarities, but if they all said the same thing, we wouldn';t have need of all of them... they're all based on different interpretations of what the original meant. and if nobody knows what the original meaning really was, how can you devote your life to a specific set of rules that very well may be a mis-interpretation? wouldn't that suck to die & find out the guy who translated/reworded the scriptures made a mistake, and you're going to hell because of it!? (just an example...  :happy: )

That's what I mean....

And yes love and respect... do we need a Big dude with a beard in the sky for that really?

Do we need Christianity (or any other religion) for that?

:blink don't get it.

The Truth is subjective.... and how can a person in their right mind determine what a creature capable of creating something as vast as the universe would determine what our truth should be....

so which truth? exactly

Have you ever noticed (in the vien of the concepts of death/beginning/end of the universe) that the 2 concpets that humans have the hardest time with are things that are finite.... or things that are infinite...?

In other words some people have trouble with the "when you are dead you are dead" concept... they go "no there must be more, that can't just be the end, there must be an afterlife or a soul or something!" But then you go "OK so you live forever in hevan or hell, or in some afterlife for eternity" and people go "but how long is that? that sounds too long..."

you can apply this to almost any part of human perception

The Truth is subjective.... and how can a person in their right mind determine what a creature capable of creating something as vast as the universe would determine what our truth should be....

so which truth? exactly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:tongue: thought when you said "all these different interpretations of something that is one truth," that you were defending one truth. Don't be so ambifrilent with your complisticootery.

:tongue: thought when you said "all these different interpretations of something that is one truth," that you were defending one truth. Don't be so ambifrilent with your complisticootery.

Ah... not defending actually... people were saying that these countless interpretations of the bible (in this case) were all stating the same truth... and I was stating that this cannot be... and even if it could.... how would we have any clue as to what that truth is given the vast nature of the universe

so yeah. i more or less ignore what the bible has to say about morals, because if you just go by that, you stop worrying about WHY you hold specific moral positions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good call. I couldn't agree more. One of the reasons that I stopped believing in my parents' faith was because I got sick of feeling guilty all the time, when I realized that some of the stuff I had been doing that was considered "bad" really wasn't so bad once I reasoned through it.

Archived