False Memories

Homicidalheathen

I remember everything that has ever happened to me since even standing in my crib, eating wall paper.

Had a pretty traumatic life too....

I just don't know about these people who 'recover' memories.

And doing it through hypnosis seems so suggestable......

Just wonder how many of you think memory retrieval is 100 percent accurate reguardless of how you retrieve them...

i can perfectly remember fights i've been in, for example, the one behind the mall here in town when i was in highschool - thing is, i've never been in a fight in my life... i made it up as a joke to explain how i dislocating my pinky finger (playing volleyball sounded sooooo uncool). i can remember quite well, conversations i've had with people i've met only in dreams, but i know these people, and they're a part of my life as well. hell, i've even ran into one or two, months/years down the road!

point being, who's to say what memory is true/false, and according to whom is it so? i remember a lot of things perfectly well, but if you were to ask other people who experienced them with me, you might get a totally different recollection.

to me, if you remember it, that's how it really happened *for you* - regardless of what others have to say about it.

i can perfectly remember fights i've been in, for example, the one behind the mall here in town when i was in highschool - thing is, i've never been in a fight in my life... i made it up as a joke to explain how i dislocating my pinky finger (playing volleyball sounded sooooo uncool). i can remember quite well, conversations i've had with people i've met only in dreams, but i know these people, and they're a part of my life as well. hell, i've even ran into one or two, months/years down the road!

point being, who's to say what memory is true/false, and according to whom is it so? i remember a lot of things perfectly well, but if you were to ask other people who experienced them with me, you might get a totally different recollection.

to me, if you remember it, that's how it really happened *for you* - regardless of what others have to say about it.

you were stoned. :laugh:

Two things to research: confabulation and the Rashomon Effect (though not how wikipedia describes it)

http://skepdic.com/falsememory.html

Thanks, I found this and thought it was interesting.....

I like to think my mind is not so subjectable........I have been hypnotized but sorta remembered it...so I don't think anyone could implant a memory in me but.

These people who use hypnosis to remember past abuses well I wonder....

I mean if a psychologist even just says something like, do you remember anything from your past where you were abused......

Then your mind is going to create a scenario.....especially if your under hypnosis.

I am thinking of the 3 guys who were abuducted by aliens and under hypnosis in separate rooms......all came up with the same story.

Not that I believe in alien abductions or anything.....

http://truthseekersmidlands.tripod.com/id57.html

Look it up online and most of these people recall this stuff while under hypnosis.

It just seems rather suggestive to me.

Is it live? Or is it Memorex? That's what I want to know. :-)

Seriously... it's obvious we all have a different capacity to remember life events from a conscious point of view. What we "forget" or suppress, and why... and can we get to that information by some means... that's a pretty fascinating subject.

http://skepdic.com/falsememory.html

Thanks, I found this and thought it was interesting.....

I like to think my mind is not so subjectable........I have been hypnotized but sorta remembered it...so I don't think anyone could implant a memory in me but.

These people who use hypnosis to remember past abuses well I wonder....

I mean if a psychologist even just says something like, do you remember anything from your past where you were abused......

Then your mind is going to create a scenario.....especially if your under hypnosis.

I am thinking of the 3 guys who were abuducted by aliens and under hypnosis in separate rooms......all came up with the same story.

Not that I believe in alien abductions or anything.....

http://truthseekersmidlands.tripod.com/id57.html

Look it up online and most of these people recall this stuff while under hypnosis.

It just seems rather suggestive to me.

Not most, ALL. People's lives have been ruined by this sort of thing. Hypnotist asks 'do you remember you father abusing you?' and the daughter says yes, and then all hell breaks loose, and then she realizes five years later, that she made it all up in her head. If you're trying to repress, I say leave that shit there anyway. Seriously, I doubt aliens are going to come to earth just to put a rod up Cleetus' butt hole. Seems like an awful waste of time and energy.

This subject, surprisingly came up at City Club last night. I start talking to this girl who said she was abducted and tortured but didn't remember it until much later through hypnosis. However as I talked to her more I realized she was just nuts. She admits she has a split personality and can't remember a good half her life and is violent now because of it but get this:

She said she was shot and cut and has no scars cause the ghetto guys who took her and did this too her had special shots that make you absorb scars???

Yah....ok.....right......

Archived