Fat Tuesday Treats...

Gothmama25

Guest Megalicious

Just out of curiousity where can I get the best pacski? I've probably spelled it wrong but you know what I mean. Those really good polish donut type treats.

Hamtramck.

Speaking as a Pure Pole who has spent the past 10+ years venturing into Hamtramck at 6:00 a.m. every Fat Tuesday...

Oaza bakery used to be my choice, but they closed while I was in NC.

Now I go to New Palace Bakery, 9833 Joseph Campau, (313)875-1334.

Their paczki are of the more gooey consistency that I prefer.

However, if you don't mind yours - or prefer them - with a more cake- or bread-like consistency, you can't go wrong or better than Vinewood Bakery right here in Wyandotte. It's at the corner of Vinewood & 9th or 10th.

Word to the wise - order ahead if you plan to get yours from Polish Village. Then you can jump ahead of the line and get yours quickly.

Sounds interesting. Is this something you can find at other times too? I love trying new foods. Nothing on this side of the state but dutch food and the usual national chains.

They are generally only available the few weeks before fat tuesday. Most places won't sell them at other times, I am thinking it has something to do with the 26 grams of fat and disgustingly high caloric content per paczki. :happydance

Speaking as a Pure Pole who has spent the past 10+ years venturing into Hamtramck at 6:00 a.m. every Fat Tuesday...

Oaza bakery used to be my choice, but they closed while I was in NC.

Now I go to New Palace Bakery, 9833 Joseph Campau, (313)875-1334.

Their paczki are of the more gooey consistency that I prefer.

Word to the wise - order ahead if you plan to get yours from Polish Village. Then you can jump ahead of the line and get yours quickly.

I second the New Palace vote. I used to get pastries there, including paczki, when I lived in Hamtramck. They do indeed have that good doughy yeasty texture that (to me anyway) sets paczki apart from ordinary jelly doughnuts.

Onyx, the Hamtramck bakeries do carry paczki all year... they just crank 'em out in especially vast amounts on Fat Tuesday. So maybe someone who lives in the area could toss a few in the mail for you sometime. Or if there's a Polish bakery in your area, they probably have 'em on a regular if not daily basis.

Can someone overnight some to Kentucky please?

What? No Polish bakeries in Kentucky?

I know NC had not one single solitary Polish restaurant in the entire state. NONE. I checked. Several times.

NC=Hell

By the way, in my first post here when I said order ahead from Polish Village, I meant New Palace.

Paczki are available year-round from some Polish bakeries, probably including New Palace. I believe Vinewood in Wyandotte has them all the time, too.

Is this tomorrow? I may have to forego my usual Hamtramck trip. Still sick in bed, and I might not be up to a trip into Hamtown. Vinewood it is.

Also, if you're planning to get yours from Farmer Jack or a similar non-Polish source, you're really cheating yourself. Might as well just go to DuDo's and get a jelly doughnut.

Also, if you're planning to get yours from Farmer Jack or a similar non-Polish source, you're really cheating yourself. Might as well just go to DuDo's and get a jelly doughnut.

I agree. They have them at Quality Dairy (ubiquitous Lansing convenience store chain) & make a huge deal out of it, but I won't touch 'em... once you've had the real thing nothing else will do!

I was at Roma's at 7A this morning.

OOh they're good.

Lansing represent :respect:

Seriously, they have good stuff, and for some reason an Italian couple beats the pants off

everyone else around here.

Check out their specialties. MMMM

BTW

Did you know there's a Jewish/Catholic Paczki link? (we're so linked in sooo many ways)

Pączki In Israel

Meanwhile, Polish Jews fried pączki (Yiddish: פּאָנטשקעס , pontshkes) in oil, and ate them on Hanukkah[citation needed]; this custom was imported to Israel and spread to other Jews, who know them by their Modern Hebrew name, סופגניות, sufganiyot (singular: סופגניה, sufganiyah).

This makes total sense since there more Jews in Poland than just about anywhere but Russia before WW II.

Then Hitler, (who didn't want to soil his own land too much) set up concentration and death camps all over Poland. Whoever, made out the other side either came to the US or Israel.

Enjoy your Sufganiyot, everyone!

Archived