Deathrock/batcave/psychobilly/post-punk/anarcho Night?

Hello,

My name is Justin, some of you may know me as DJ Deadbeat. I'm a deathrock/post-punk/anarcho/batcave/punk/psychobilly DJ from Detroit. I have been a DJ for about 2 years, and unfortunately, Detroit has a very small, almost dead goth scene. Sure, there are fans of electro-industrial, ebm, futurepop, and the occasional Sisters of Mercy song thrown in for measure, but there aren't any nights that spin goth.

Me and DJ Scary Guy have been talking about opening a night somewhere that caters to the goth crowd, and not only them put the punk, glam, greaser, anarcho, and whoever else who feels like coming out for a good time. Goth was build on a love for dark music, not just goth rock, but related genres. I want to bring back the goth/deathrock scene to Detroit. Along with this maybe even get more bands like Cinema Strange, 45 Grave, Ausgang, and Pins and Needles to come to Detroit!

Who would be interested in this?

Also, who knows a place that might be interested in hosting this?

cheers,

Justin

DJ DEADBEAT

I would be interested in that, though I don't have any venue recommendation.

And Joey Deadcat, you are starting to sound like my cooler older brother.

That is to say, a tad condescending.

(I mean, I know what you're getting at, but must you be so "omgz we R the kool kidz!" about it?)

Matter of fact, I'll forward them to ya! THOSE are the two dj's who're in your league! :thumbsup:

I play mostly what the crowd wants to hear, if I don't I lose my job (see Ritz as example). Don't pretend to know my tastes or my league. Justin likes more than just what you like anyhow.

Good music can (and does) exist in any genre. Complete crap can do the same however.

But I can understand your line of thinking since everyone thinks I suck.

I play mostly what the crowd wants to hear, if I don't I lose my job (see Ritz as example). Don't pretend to know my tastes or my league. Justin likes more than just what you like anyhow.

Good music can (and does) exist in any genre. Complete crap can do the same however.

Sounds like a fun night!

SG didnt lose your job beacause of what you were playing, and im sorry that you feel the that was the 1 and only reason we had to let you go. I would have thought that if there were any hard feelings, that we are all still friends enough to where you could talk to us about it, when you hang out with us socially, rather then throwing in out on a public format such as this.

as always we wish you luck in your future endeavors.

I know. :wink He and I know each other in person.

I know, he already mentioned it.

Sounds like a fun night!

SG didnt lose your job beacause of what you were playing, and im sorry that you feel the that was the 1 and only reason we had to let you go. I would have thought that if there were any hard feelings, that we are all still friends enough to where you could talk to us about it, when you hang out with us socially, rather then throwing in out on a public format such as this.

as always we wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Dave mentioned it to me while drunk that one night (said I was too obscure). I didn't say it was the only reason though and we have talked about it (mainly it was the chain of command thing he said, but I figured that was just a red haring anyhow). I didn't think it was any huge secret either, which is why I posted it on my blog back when it happened. Whatever the reasons, what's done is done and I'm cool with that. If you want we can talk about it more Thursday, or you can call/message me before then, or we can just talk here because like I said I don't think it's any big secret, and I might be a quiet person (in person at least), but I'm not a private person with what's going on in my life.

I know, he already mentioned it.

Dave mentioned it to me while drunk that one night (said I was too obscure). I didn't say it was the only reason though and we have talked about it (mainly it was the chain of command thing he said, but I figured that was just a red haring anyhow). I didn't think it was any huge secret either, which is why I posted it on my blog back when it happened. Whatever the reasons, what's done is done and I'm cool with that. If you want we can talk about it more Thursday, or you can call/message me before then, or we can just talk here because like I said I don't think it's any big secret, and I might be a quiet person (in person at least), but I'm not a private person with what's going on in my life.

well there were a few reasons,one main reason, but it had nothing to do with the music at all., why we had to do it, like we said friends are friends and business is business. and being professional, im not going to get into detail here, but when you throw out a comment like that it makes me feel that your angry, and trying to make a bad rep for the club.

but anyway.... if you want we can discuss this further at a later date...

were you planning to come out thursday???

you know we are celebrating everyones birthdays that night... even though mine is still a week and a half away

What really blows is my duel disk player finally took a shit on me last week, so its finally gone (its an old one) What makes it worse is...the Elbow Room in Ypsilanti messaged me and said they'd love to spin nights there. Bah! So I need to hual ass and try and find a cheap one to replace it!

Yeah, when I DJ on any given night you'd hear anything...

Batmobile

Sex Gang Children

Carter USM

Zounds

Tuxedomoon

Nizter Ebb

The Damned

Birthday Party

The Horrors

Blade Fetish

Zombina and the Skeletones

etc

:)

I always play requests and what the crowd wants to hear. But I also don't plan on getting entangled into the cyber crowd too much. Its happened before. And nothing pisses off cybergoths than hearing The Cramps or The Birthday Party!

IsthishowIgoth.jpg

well there were a few reasons,one main reason, but it had nothing to do with the music at all., why we had to do it, like we said friends are friends and business is business. and being professional, im not going to get into detail here, but when you throw out a comment like that it makes me feel that your angry, and trying to make a bad rep for the club.

but anyway.... if you want we can discuss this further at a later date...

were you planning to come out thursday???

you know we are celebrating everyones birthdays that night... even though mine is still a week and a half away

Yeah I'm angry but only about losing the job, not you guys or the club. Also of course I'm planning to come out. I already made it two weeks in a row. ALSO my front end is finally fixed (kinda for the most part).

I heartily support this effort. Detroit hasn't known Goth for years. If you need any help, shoot me an email at dt10111@yahoo.com. I have extensive experience and resources I can contribute.

I've noted a serious deathrock revival in every major city in the country except Detroit. I have been quite concerned about this.

I heartily support this effort. Detroit hasn't known Goth for years. If you need any help, shoot me an email at dt10111@yahoo.com. I have extensive experience and resources I can contribute.

I've noted a serious deathrock revival in every major city in the country except Detroit. I have been quite concerned about this.

Exactly. Hell, LA and NYC are the top spots. But I mean, Louisville, KY has a big scene, even! I love watching bands tour America and how they always pass over Detroit.

45 Grave especially, and that upset me. I mean, the punks alone would have made that show a success, they think they are a horrorpunk band!

But keep in touch with me. Vampire72@msn.com for me. I would love some help and especially if you got resources and a history. Unfortunately I am without DJ equipment as mine finally broke for good last week. :(

Exactly. Hell, LA and NYC are the top spots. But I mean, Louisville, KY has a big scene, even! I love watching bands tour America and how they always pass over Detroit.

45 Grave especially, and that upset me. I mean, the punks alone would have made that show a success, they think they are a horrorpunk band!

But keep in touch with me. Vampire72@msn.com for me. I would love some help and especially if you got resources and a history. Unfortunately I am without DJ equipment as mine finally broke for good last week. :(

And a child shall lead them, Justin! :tongue:

BTW, what about The Labyrinth or 2500 Club?

And a child shall lead them, Justin! :tongue:

BTW, what about The Labyrinth or 2500 Club?

Yeah! Someone full of youth and vigor. haha. I am looking into the 2500 Club. It wouldn't be bad for once a month, or twice a month. Its just a hell of a drive to Detroit. haha.

Archived