Where Do You Get Your Cds/records?

DJDeadbeat

Okay, for you folks who still BUY music, where do you get your CDs and records at? What is the best record store to go visit to find rare goth albums, post-punk treasures, and good music in general?

I frequent:

Encore Records - Ann Arbor: Best place. Hands down. I have found ENDLESS rarities here. The Very Things, Bolshoi, Theatre of Hate, Blitz, Blade Fetish, Inca Babies, Artery, Carcrash International, etc. If you have something in mind, you can probably find it here. Its one of the biggest used CD stores in AMERICA.

Rock of Ages - Garden City: If you want overpriced 90's goth, go here. Corpus Delicti, Ghosting, Rosetta Stone, and boring industrial, of course. Good Cleopatra selection. They actually HAVE a Goth/Industrial section. Mostly industrial though....blah! Good punk section. Not much psychobilly. Also good for other alternative music as well, and a decent hip-hop selection.

FYE - Various Malls: Hey! I've found good shit there. Chrome double disk for 8 bucks. FLESHEATERS V/A goth comp for 8 as well! Also cheap used CDs occasionally. Hey, its better than going to Best Buy.

Hot Hits - Roseville: I've only been there once, but they have a healthy punk section, a small goth/industrial section - but worth a look. I saw some Rozz Williams solo work, and Southern Death Cult. Also for some reason...Marilyn Manson in there. Guess industrial metal....ick.

SHARE YOUR FAVOURITES!

Will have to check out Encore Records. Rock of Ages is AWESOME for industrial stuff, found many things there. All the other good stores are gone, Absolute Music when it was around had a lot of stuff, and East Alley Records of course. Record Time in Roseville had a HUGE section till they decided to clear it out and get rid of the good people there, not it's a very small section, I still find something good once in a while in the used section. Hot Hits had a good general selection of punk/metal/industrial, but focused mainly on local/underground rap, which was good for me since I'm a fan of that stuff. Sadly Hot Hits closed their doors for good earlier in the year. Not many places on the Eastside anymore for music, everyone's downloading music off the internet these days. The more digital music downloaded, the more it's going to eventually replace CDs/Records. Some labels even sell their music on flash drives now! :mad:

Downside - Encore is a little hit or miss, depending on what you're looking for. I tend to find myself going there not looking for anything in particular and keeping my horizons open for genre styles and will usually walk away with 6-10 CD's of good stuff I didn't expect to find.

Upside - Their stock rotates fairly quickly, so is worth checking out every week or two for some gems.

Yard sales.

Yeah, pretty much anything I want, I find at yard sales.

I mostly download individual songs I like in the goth/ebm/industrial genres, as I never seem to care for entire albums.

I have bought some Apop and a couple others from Rock of Ages in Garden City.

All the stores I used to buy from are closed. Primarily, they were The Record Exchange in Southgate, and Repeat the Beat in Dearborn.

Off the Record in Westland (or was it Garden City?) was a favorite, but again, closed. I dont know if they're still open in Dearborn.

I rarely have ever bought CD's brand-new. When I did, that was back in the day of Harmony House.

Rock of Ages

Rock A Billies in Utica

Hot Hits

Record Time in Roseville

some pawn shops,I have found rarities there

Record Time, where is that and what have you found there? I have heard good things about it.

Also pawn shops indeed!

I found Wax Trax's Black Box for 10 bucks, 2 Sex Gang CDs, Social Distortion, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Rapture, etc.

I only order online, and usually from places like Projekt, or Soleilmoon or Middle Pillar, or even CD Baby. Depends on what I'm looking for. Very rarely do music stores have the super obscure shit I actually want to buy.

That reminds me. I need to get the Kitchen and Plastic Spoons CD from CDBaby soon!

I see Projekt CDs in CD shops all of the time. But they have good Sale CDs on their site.

Record Time, where is that and what have you found there? I have heard good things about it.

Also pawn shops indeed!

I found Wax Trax's Black Box for 10 bucks, 2 Sex Gang CDs, Social Distortion, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Rapture, etc.

Record Time is on the east side of Gratiot,just north of I-696

Also pawn shops indeed!

The Record Time in Ferndale, on 9 Mile near Woodward had better stuff for a while, after the glory days of Record Time in Roseville had ended, but it's been a few years at least since I've been to that one. The one in Roseville is only good for finding things in the used bin or the clearance section. They don't do many new orders for stuff, unless it's real popular. The industrial/goth section there used to be huge, taking up a large portion of that back wall, now it's a little bin in the middle of the isle. Every section in that store has taken a hit over the past 10 years, I'm glad they're still open at least.

That reminds me. I need to get the Kitchen and Plastic Spoons CD from CDBaby soon!

I see Projekt CDs in CD shops all of the time. But they have good Sale CDs on their site.

I find good stuff in record stores often. But I buy things on a serious whim, and have extremely obscure tastes. I do not tend to browse and shop. I head out looking for something. I buy a lot of stuff from Cold Meat Industry, for example, and rarely find what I'm looking for in stores. I don't buy Projekt releases, since they don't deal with Lycia anymore, the only real good thing they have is Voltaire. But the Darkwave store carries a lot of good stuff with great prices ($14 for CMI releases is good!).

I buy breakcore and stuff from DIY distributors like Wrecked. Etc. Occasionally I'll pick through used stores like Encore.

Guest GodfallenPromos

I've never had a problem with Record Time, as long as there is a proper distributor.

Has anyone tried Burn Lounge...I met a couple guys that were recruiters, but I never heard anyone outside of them say anything good about it...i've seen the system...it's user friendly, but more like a Myspace + Itunes

The Record Time in Ferndale, on 9 Mile near Woodward had better stuff for a while, after the glory days of Record Time in Roseville had ended, but it's been a few years at least since I've been to that one. The one in Roseville is only good for finding things in the used bin or the clearance section. They don't do many new orders for stuff, unless it's real popular. The industrial/goth section there used to be huge, taking up a large portion of that back wall, now it's a little bin in the middle of the isle. Every section in that store has taken a hit over the past 10 years, I'm glad they're still open at least.

Do they a good selection of old goth? Children on Stun, Ausgang, Suspiria? Also, which one has a better selection of music - Roseville or Ferndale?

Do they a good selection of old goth? Children on Stun, Ausgang, Suspiria? Also, which one has a better selection of music - Roseville or Ferndale?

LOL, no. I've never seen a place with a good selection of old school goth. Once in a while you'll see a some good stuff, but not a good selection. There's no demand for good music anymore in the Detroit area, everyone burns music now it seems. I don't know what place has a better selection, I would say none for goth music, probably Roseville if I had to pick.

LOL, no. I've never seen a place with a good selection of old school goth. Once in a while you'll see a some good stuff, but not a good selection. There's no demand for good music anymore in the Detroit area, everyone burns music now it seems. I don't know what place has a better selection, I would say none for goth music, probably Roseville if I had to pick.

How about obscure punk stuff? Or old industrial (Clock DVA, Foetus, Absolute Body Control)?

How about obscure punk stuff? Or old industrial (Clock DVA, Foetus, Absolute Body Control)?

Not sure on the punk stuff. I've picked up billions of Foetus/Thirwell CDs in the used bin, as well as a few Clock DVA CD's, sometimes you get lucky. But the new stock is mostly popular stuff, Cleopatra/Metropolis/etc. I would say Record Time is worth checking out. I know they do special orders, but I don't know what kind of distro's they deal with.

Back in the day I used to frequent Dearborn Music, Rock Of Ages and all sorts of random stores. There was a used music store called "Music Music" i used to go to alot. The larger "chain" stores , unfortunately for the anarchists, are getting better and better about carrying more obscure stuff, or at least they where starting to when i was still in the market for such things. The Harmony House near were I lived specificly had seperate "Gothic" and "Industrial" sections at one point which were fairly large.

But, pre-car accident, when i still had money (which i have none of now) i was shifting to basically buying everything from the Internet, in bulk 10+ at a time. Saves time / money / energy and the selection is larger than any music store could possibly hold. Generally from Amazon but random other things i was aware of but didn't see there from Metropolis / Cleopatra other smaller labels etc.

Back in the day I used to frequent Dearborn Music, Rock Of Ages and all sorts of random stores. There was a used music store called "Music Music" i used to go to alot. The larger "chain" stores , unfortunately for the anarchists, are getting better and better about carrying more obscure stuff, or at least they where starting to when i was still in the market for such things. The Harmony House near were I lived specificly had seperate "Gothic" and "Industrial" sections at one point which were fairly large.

But, pre-car accident, when i still had money (which i have none of now) i was shifting to basically buying everything from the Internet, in bulk 10+ at a time. Saves time / money / energy and the selection is larger than any music store could possibly hold. Generally from Amazon but random other things i was aware of but didn't see there from Metropolis / Cleopatra other smaller labels etc.

Dearborn Music (I go to the one in Canton, even though I want to check out the one in, well, Dearborn) has a nice selection. I have found good stuff, but it is generally expensive. Gang of Four and Wire for 20 bucks! Flesh for Lulu import for 20 as well! But occasionally the used CDs are slammin'! I like supporting Dearborn Music because they are a charming store, and deserve to be open. Harmony House I was merely in the 7th grade I think when they closed it. But I remember wanting to order Empires by VNV Nation from them before it closed. haha.

Man, my girlfriend is trying to find a record store that carries Sopor Aeternus! LOL! Hard to find, I am sure!

Various Sorces..Like

Promotional from when worked on a High School Radio Station

Promotional from bands that send me there CDs by, press pack or given to me at a show.

Records I buy them Flip Side, Off The Record, or the record guy at the flea market or even store called Last Vistage Music in Albany, NY.

CDs the same way stated above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-CatsEye :cat:

Various Sorces..Like

Promotional from when worked on a High School Radio Station

Promotional from bands that send me there CDs by, press pack or given to me at a show.

Records I buy them Flip Side, Off The Record, or the record guy at the flea market or even store called Last Vistage Music in Albany, NY.

CDs the same way stated above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-CatsEye :cat:

60% of my music collection was given to me by band/record label promotion too, i'd say. Good to be a DJ.

Archived