Dub/funk Cross Over Music

DJDeadbeat

Bands like Public Image Limited, Bad Brains, A Certain Ratio, Gang of Four, !!!, even the Rapture that have dub, funk, reggae, cross over appeal I think represent the best of both worlds. I just can't get over a good funky bassline.

It all goes back to say, one day I will form a gothy funk band! Think Brilliant, early Killing Joke, Bauhaus, Public Image Limited, Vital Sines, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bad habit of hearing a single song or a couple songs by someone or some band that makes me think I'd really, really like to hear more - and never following up. So over the years, I either collected a lot of albums that I never listened to or just didn't take the next step of listening to more of their catalog.

This includes a lot of bass-heavy groups like PIL, Killing Joke, etc. I'm partial to funk.

And if you want to get REALLY pure, take it a step further back and to the side, and talk Earth, Wind & Fire, P-Funk, etc.

I treasure my greatest hits collections by these artists. And I really wish I'd have taken more time to get into them in their heyday.

God, a funk/goth band would be brilliant. It would blend two of my favorite sounds.

As it is, I've always been partial to bands that were bottom-heavy. I sometimes like when a band's bass player outshines the guitarist. Flea, Les Claypool, Trent Reznor's bass lines vs. his guitar/keys, etc. Groups not afraid to pump up the bass & drums like Siouxsie & the Banshees, occasionally The Cure, etc.

As for the reggae bits, that's where I kinda go more towards ska. My favorite ska sounds are groups that are bass-heavy and not afraid to keep the distortion on the guitar at a low level and pump up the traditionally funky instruments. Gangster Fun, Bim Skala Bim, Madness, the Exceptions.

Reggae influence in pop can get cliche'd and boring, and it has to be handled carefully. I never cared a ton for Blondie, and the Police could get kinda one-beatish, if you know what I'm talking about. But the Pretenders, when not overproduced, were great.

• 3 weeks later...

Les Claypool's a g-d!

I love the early Primus stuff like Suck on This and Sailing the Seas of Cheese

Tommy the Cat is the best Primus song ever.

I love Gof4, Killing Joke and all those "funky" bands. You forgot the Clash in that mix. Those guys were incredibly diverse and progressive for a "punk" band.

I love Gof4, Killing Joke and all those "funky" bands. You forgot the Clash in that mix. Those guys were incredibly diverse and progressive for a "punk" band.

The Clash are a better example of a band that blends reggae with rock than I gave.

But I avoided bringing them up because it kinda gets old doing so. And while I respect their place in rock/punk history, I was never heavily into them. I don't think I've ever played more than a few songs from my double CD hits collection.

The air was thick with cat calls - no pun intended.

YEAH!

Archived