Specialties of the House

jynxxxedangel

I absolutely love smoked fleur de sel!!!!!! It's a staple at my house, as a finishing salt. I make a large batch every summer-- at the same time, I make summer sausage from the previous fall's deer burger. :) I usually use hickory or ash for the smoke.

Try mint or vanilla salt...its the only way to pimp your fish or top off/make deserts

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummus

Sesame Tahini

Lemon juice

garlic

garbanzo beans

lebeneah(not sure of spelling its a goat milk product) you would have to ask your local arab market for the exact product

Take em all put them in a food processor I sugggest garlic powder if ur a novice like me and walla u got hummus serve with pita bread

$$

post-230-1229527888_thumb.jpg

Here's that soup receipt, Gimp.. ;)

**Turkey Avgolemono Soup**

8 cups flavourful turkey broth

Leftover turkey meat

3 eggs, separated

1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice

Juice from 1 large or 2 small lemons

Grated zest of 1/2 lemon

sea salt to taste

coarsely ground black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil; add the rice, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Add chopped leftover turkey to soup, and let simmer while preparing the avgolemono mixture.

In a large squeaky-clean bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. In another small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice. Slowly add the lemon juice/yolk mixture to the egg whites. Now, whisk one cup of turkey broth into the mixture-- do not stop blending! The constant blending is the secret to prevent curdling of this delicious soup.

When the eggs and broth are well mixed, pour this mixture back into the remaining broth and rice in the saucepan, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow the soup to simmer gently, until it is thickened.

Stir well, and serve with extra fresh ground black pepper to taste.

it sounds so yummy i cant wait to make it iamma try this wekend

No one else has recipes?????

I would really like to see some of the guys here at DGN contribute to this thread. I've been reading how many of you are fair to excellent cooks!! Let's see what ya got! :p

i dunno if you ladies already know how to make it but heres one i know

Crab Rangoon

1/2 pound real or imitation crab meat

1 small can of water chestnuts

1 green onion

cream cheese

1 package of wonton wrapers

1 small bowl of water

Veggie oil/Canolla Oil

take the crab meat and water chestnuts and depending on how many you are going to make (if just for a small family 3-5 people) (also how much food your family can put away) i use a table spoon the green onion choped very fine a small container of the cream cheese mix it all in a bowl take about a table spoons worth of the mixture and place it in the center on the wonton wraper dip your finer in the small bowl of water and wet the ends of the wonton wraper fold the ends upwards or fold over to make a pocket or however you like as long as the mixture is nice and sealed place the ragoon in the oil until they come out a nice golden brown

edit to note: iam not entirely sure how much oil i use i use just enough to deep fry all pans and pots are diffrent so just use your best judgement

Ok..this is something I just came up with a bit ago. I was in need of some barbecue sauce, but I was all out. I also had very little ketchup, so I had to work with what I had. Here is the result-- it turned out excellent! :biggrin:

Jynxxxie's Weird Rib Sauce

3/4 cup Pace Picante (hot)

1/2 cup grape jelly

2 T. brown sugar

2 T. ketchup

1/2 t. Jalun (or other brand) curry powder

2 t. balsamic vinegar

1 t. stone ground mustard (spicy)

1 t. butter

1 t. onion powder

1 t. dried minced garlic (or fresh)

1/2 t. liquid smoke

1/2 t. seasoned salt

black pepper to taste

Simmer on low, until thick and reduced. Apply before grilling,

P.S. I suspect this would also be good on a ham or chicken, as well.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

• 4 weeks later...

Prepare to lust for "Sex In A Pan." This is a receipt I snagged from a friend of mine in South Carolina, and it's a surefire winner for holidays and potlucks. Enjoy! ;)

"SEX IN A PAN" DESSERT

Ingredients:

Base:

1/2 c. butter

1 c. flour

1/4 c. sugar

Layer 1:

2 pkgs. (250 gr. each) cream cheese

1/2 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tub Cool Whip (500 ml.)

Layer 2:

3 c. milk

1 pkg. (6 portion size) chocolate pudding (instant)

1 pkg. (6 portion size) vanilla pudding (instant)

Layer 3:

1 can cherry pie filling

Layer 4:

1 (250 ml.) Cool Whip or whipped cream

12 chocolate wafers (crushed)

Directions:

Base

Cut butter into flour and sugar. It should resemble fine crumbs. Press into 10 inch square or 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. Let cool.

Layer 1

Beat sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in vanilla and Cool Whip. Spread on base.

Layer 2

Mix each pudding with 1/2 of the milk. Mix until thickened. Fold two puddings together just until marbled effect. Spread over first layer.

Layer 3

Spread over second layer.

Layer 4

Spread Cool Whip over 3rd layer. Sprinkle with crushed wafers. Refrigerate until served.

• 1 month later...

This is THE BEST pork pot roast receipt EVER. It is simple to make, delicious, and it makes its own perfect gravy--without any effort!

Maiale al Latte (Pork Cooked in Milk)

Serves 6

4-5 lbs. boned loin of pork (silver skin, and most of the fat, removed)

Seasoned salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 T. olive oil

About 6 c. whole milk

4 T. butter, unsalted

5 cloves garlic, peeled and halved

A few fresh sage leaves (optional)

Zest from 2 lemons, in thick strips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Generously season pork on all sides with salt and pepper.

Place a cast iron dutch oven, that's just large enough to hold the roast, over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and heat it to nearly smoking. Add the pork roast, and brown it on all sides, turning only as necessary. Once well-browned, transfer it to a plate. Carefully pour off the fat from the pan into your drippings jar.

In a saucepan, over medium heat, warm the milk. Do not boil.

Return the dutch oven to medium heat, add the butter, and heat until melted. When the foam subsides, add the garlic and, if using, the sage.

Saute just until the garlic is softened, but not browned. Return the pork to the pan, and add enough hot milk to submerge it, by at least three-quarters.

Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the milk to boil. Remove from the heat, add the lemon zest, and cover with the lid.

Reduce the oven's temperature to 325 degrees, and pop the roast into the oven, for 20 minutes per lb. Be sure to set your timer!!! Note: DO NOT REMOVE THE LID DURING COOKING TIME!!

When your timer goes off, remove the roast from the oven (don't peek at it, yet!), and let it stand for 15-20 minutes. THEN, you can look at the awesomeness you have created, and slice it up for serving!!

Stir, and spoon the cooking sauce over top of the sliced-and-plated pork; serve with rice, gnocchi, or mashed potatoes-- with a green veggie, and crusty artisan bread.

If you like pork roast with gravy, you simply MUST try this receipt.

Prepare to lust for "Sex In A Pan." This is a receipt I snagged from a friend of mine in South Carolina, and it's a surefire winner for holidays and potlucks. Enjoy! ;)

"SEX IN A PAN" DESSERT

Ingredients:

Base:

1/2 c. butter

1 c. flour

1/4 c. sugar

Layer 1:

2 pkgs. (250 gr. each) cream cheese

1/2 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tub Cool Whip (500 ml.)

Layer 2:

3 c. milk

1 pkg. (6 portion size) chocolate pudding (instant)

1 pkg. (6 portion size) vanilla pudding (instant)

Layer 3:

1 can cherry pie filling

Layer 4:

1 (250 ml.) Cool Whip or whipped cream

12 chocolate wafers (crushed)

Directions:

Base

Cut butter into flour and sugar. It should resemble fine crumbs. Press into 10 inch square or 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. Let cool.

Layer 1

Beat sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in vanilla and Cool Whip. Spread on base.

Layer 2

Mix each pudding with 1/2 of the milk. Mix until thickened. Fold two puddings together just until marbled effect. Spread over first layer.

Layer 3

Spread over second layer.

Layer 4

Spread Cool Whip over 3rd layer. Sprinkle with crushed wafers. Refrigerate until served.

:drool:drool:drool:drool

This is Me recipe for "Pants Dropping Alfredo Sauce"

1-Large sauce pan

1-Standard size bottle of white wine.....

{use mid to higher grade wine.....it makes the sauce better}0c1b261d.gif

1-Quart of heavy cream.....

-Fresh herbs.....

{U can use anything you want your sauce to taste like}

**I suggest Fresh basil & oregano**

-Fresh garlic

{use as much or as little as you will}

1/8 cup of flour.....& half a stick of butter .....

-Salt, pepper, & a spoonful of Raw Sugar.....

OK.....Now to make the sauce.....

You have to pay attention to the sauce constantly.....

*Slowly simmer the wine, garlic, and herbs until the mixture just covers the bottom of the sauce pan.....

*Add the Quart of cream mix it up, and continue to simmer.....

*Let the heat slowly reduce the cream.....Stirring occasionally.....

{until about 1/4 of it is gone}

~now to make the rue.....For thickening.....

{flour & butter}

~In a small fry pan slowly melt the butter.....

~Add the flour and let it heat for a minute.....Stir Constantly.....

*Add the mixture slowly to the still simmering Sauce.....Stir constantly & Slowly.....

>>>>>The sauce is sensitive right now.....It could break<<<<<

Once it is thickened, your almost done done.....

Remove the sauce from the stove & add the sugar.....Salt & pepper to your liking.....

{use at least use a little}

Then viola' it is done.....

I suggest grated Mozzarella, Parmesan, & diced tomatoes on top.....

Enjoy..... :bunny:

• 1 month later...

Absurdly Awesome Hot Sauce

Ingredients:

1.) Peppers

I usually go with habaneros, serranos, jalapenos, a poblano or two (not as hot, but I like the flavor), and thai chiles if I can find them. Usually more habaneros than anything.

2.) White Vinegar

I've tried apple cider vinegar, but the sauce ended up with a flavor that some people weren't sold on. Try at your own risk.

3.) Salt

Really doesn't need an explanation, now does it?

4.) Seasonings and other objects: Onion, Garlic, Cumin.

I'd go with a half cup of chopped onion to every 1.5 cups of peppers (don't really like my hot sauce super oniony). Garlic would be a clove per 1.5 cups of peppers, and cumin 1 teaspoon per 1.5 cups of peppers.

5.) Optional: Tomato Paste.

Tastes fine with or without, but it's a good way to cut the heat some without compromising the flavor too much.

6.) Rubber, latex, or nitrile gloves.

Some people are sensitive enough that some of the pepper juices can actually burn them, plus getting habanero juice in a cut is about as much fun as it sounds.

7.) Container

Bottle, jar, jug, bathtub, whatever. Just make sure that it's clean and sealable (This may discount the bathtub).

Operation:

1.) Cut the stems off of the peppers and split them. If you're using poblanos split them both ways. You could remove some of the seeds from the peppers at this point as having too many seeds can make the sauce bitter.

2.) Put a pot on the stove and add some white vinegar to it and start it heating a little (don't boil it). It should be about enough to cover all the peppers you just split, but don't add the peppers yet.

3.) Get the broiler on your oven going, put the split peppers on a baking sheet and leave them under the broiler until they've dried some and you start to see some patches of browning.

4.) Add the slightly scorched peppers to the mildly heated vinegar you've got on the stove. Now would also be the time to add onion, garlic and cumin. Cover, and simmer for a little while. 20 minutes maybe? I don't usually time it...

5.) Either using a stick blender, or a counter top blender or food processor pulverize the pepper and vinegar mixture together.

6.) Simmer again, post pulverization. Let's go with 20 minutes again.

7.) Add salt. About 1 tablespoon per 2 cups of sauce. Remember, you can adjust this one later.

8.) At this point you could add the tomato paste if you're going to go that way. Also stir.

9.) Pour the mixed mixture into the bottle, jar, bathtub, etc. and refrigerate. Or use right away on anything that would be enhanced by the addition of napalm. Remember the sauce will mellow out a great deal the longer you leave it in the refrigerator. If you're not going to go through the canning process to make sure that it's sealed and devoid of microorganisms I'd try to use it up within a month of making it.

I just bought the required things to make this, and will probably end up tweaking the recipe as I'm wont to do. I'll let you know how that turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I begin, let me please state: I do NOT DO STOVE. Pest does stove in our house, very well might I add, while I check DGN. That's how dinner gets done. BUT...I do have to make my own breakfast, and so therefore have perfected that art, and the other day I made something awesome out of necessity.

It's not a huge fancy recipe, but basically, I had no cheese and wanted an omelette, yet also woke up wanting a bagel. Once I decided on the omelette and decided the bagel would wait for another morning, that's when I made the grim discovery that there was no American left, only cream cheese. NOW for anyone that knows anything, it is FACT that cream cheese rules harder than most other food groups...SO, basically I put cream cheese, mushroom, onion and garlic in this very special omelette. Let me tell you...I ate that thing and got wet.

Try it. You will want to give me all of your money and everything you own after you're done. (My PayPal acct is: Trenchcoatj@hotmail.com)

How do you make an omelette without using the stove?

Here's a simple one that I've been eating by the gallon lately.

Fresh Pico di Gallo

4-5 tomatoes, diced

1 small red onion, finely chopped (you could also use a Spanish onion, but I think the red makes it prettier)

2-3 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped

1-2 Tablespoons of water

1 1/2 Tablespoons of taco sauce (I always use medium, but I'm sure mild would be fine)

1 Teaspoon of salt

1/2 Teaspoon of fresh lime or lemon juice

1 small jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)

Chop veggies and herbs and mix in a large bowl

Stir in water and taco sauce

Stir in salt and lime or lemon juice

Cover and refridgerate for a minimum of 3 hours (tastes best if left to sit overnight)

Serve with chips or as a condiment

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm bored, so here are a few of ridiculously easy ones.

Pea and Mushroom Casserole

This is Morbid's favorite dish that I make, and super simple if you need dinner in a hurry

1 bag of large egg noodles

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 small can of mushrooms (or 1/3 of a cup of fresh sliced mushrooms)

1 small can of peas

2 tbsp milk

Grated cheese for the top (I use cheddar, but anything works. I once started making this and realized I had no cheese in the house but Kraft American singles. It still tasted good)

Boil the noodles for about 5 minutes until they are half cooked.

Drain the noodles and toss them into a deep baking dish.

Stir in one and a half cans of the mushroom soup. If some of the noodles still look bare, stir in the other half can, if not don't. You don't want it too gooey.

Add the 2 tbsp of milk and stir.

Fold in the peas and mushrooms. Don't stir too hard or you will smash the peas.

Sprinkle just enough cheese on top to cover the casserole, don't get carried away with the cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or just until the cheese is all the way melted.

Cool for a few minutes and serve.

Broccoli Cheese Casserole

Also easy if you are pinched for time, or works well as a side dish

16 oz bag of frozen broccoli, thawed (or a medium head of fresh broccoli, steamed)

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

3 tbsp of mayonnaise (don't use Miracle Whip unless you like your food excessively sweet)

1 tbsp of lemon juice

2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 package of Cheez-Its, or goldfish crackers

In a large bowl mix the soup, mayonnaise and lemon juice.

Stir in about 1/2 cup of cheese and a hand full of crackers.

Spread a thin layer of this mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish.

Add the prepared broccoli.

Spread the rest of the mixture on top of the broccoli.

Mix in another handful of crackers with the remaining cheese and sprinkle on top.

Bake at 325 degrees fro 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown a little.

Cool for a few minutes and serve

Veggie Patch Pizza (loosely based off Applebee's)

3 large tortillas

1 package of Knorr powdered garlic and herb sauce mix (and the required milk and butter to make it)

2 tbsp of grated parmesan (or romano or asiago if you prefer)

1 cup of chopped tomatoes (the less ripe, the better)

1 cup of sliced mushrooms

Some artichoke hearts (optional, I never actually use these because I don't think they really add anything to the recipe, but if you want it to be more like Applebee's, use them)

As much or as little fresh chopped spinach as you like.

Grated mozarella cheese

Fresh basil to garnish

Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and arrange tortillas on it. You should be able to fit all three tortillas with minimal overlap. Bake for 5-10 minutes until firm.

Make the garlic and herb sauce according to the recipe, but add the grated parmesan. Allow time for the sauce to thicken a bit.

Spread sauce evenly over the three tortillas to about a half inch from the edge.

Arrange mushrooms, tomatoes and artichokes on the pizzas. Use sparingly, don't cover every inch of the pizza with veggies.

Sprinkle fresh chopped spinach over the top.

Sprinkle a light layer of mozarella over the top. Don't cover. You should still be able to see the red and green from the tomatoes and spinach if you did it correctly.

Garnish top with a little fresh basil.

Bake at 350 until the cheese browns slightly. I haven't made this in a while, I can't remember how long it takes exactly, I think it's around 10 minutes.

Allow about 10 minutes to cool for the cheese and sauce to firm a little.

Cut into wedges and serve.

Edited by TygerLili

Here's another shamefully simple but tasty one...

Easy Cheesy Chicken & Noodles

1 c. chicken, cooked and cubed (I usually use the leftovers from those Meijer rotisserie chickens... be careful tho, any fancy seasoning like lemon pepper won't work well here). I'm a serious carnivore so I usually use considerably more than a cup.).

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cheddar cheese soup

8 oz medium egg noodles

Cook and drain the noodles. Put them in a baking dish. Mix the 3 soups together in a bowl. Mix in the chicken. Pour it all over the noodles and mix. Bake at 350 for about 20 to 30 min.

I guess you could put bread crumbs on top before baking, I never bother w/that sort of thing. Next time I make this I'm going to try tossing in a small can of peas, too.

Okay... This one is so simple its embarrassing but its damn tasty...

you can make as many of as few of these as you'd like... all you need are:

Hot dogs

Mashed Potatoes (from scratch, from a box... whatever will work... I happen to like it with left over KFC potatoes but i'm weird)

American cheese (slices)

boil the hot dogs like one normally would...(could be nuked but they end up curvy sometimes and that makes the next step difficult) once cooked, slice them down their length so that they lay open (not all the way in half) take your prepared mashed potatoes and "fill" the hot dogs with a generous helping. tear the slices of cheese into strips and lay on top of the potatoes. place the whole thing on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for just long enough to melt the cheese on top...

Insanely simple and damn tasty!!!

Edited by Azeuron

OPOSSUM

have not actually tried it but....

sweet p'taters and opossum...yum yum

1 young, fat opossum

8 sweet potatoes

2 tbsp. butter

1 tbsp. sugar

Salt

First, catch a 'possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night.

Clean opossum according to OPOSSUM INFORMATION.

Be sure to wash 'possum thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator. When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the 'possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the 'possum, strip with pacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.

Return to Wild Game Recipes List http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/wildrecipes/infoposs.php

:w00t:

Edited by Homicidalheathen

Is anyone else fond of these? 0002430004414_150X150.jpg

I have a receipt for homemade ones. Enjoy.

For the cookie, you will need:

1 box of chocolate cake mix (the pudding kind works best)

1 stick of margarine, softened

2 eggs

Sift the cake mix into a large bowl, then cut in the butter with a fork, until the mixture is crumbly and well-incorporated. Add the eggs, and mix until it is a stiff dough.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and roll the dough into 2" balls. Place them by the dozen on a large cookie sheet, and bake on the top rack, for ten minutes. Remove cookies from oven, and let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack.

Now, for the creme:

4 tablespoons marshmallow fluff

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature

1/4 cup vegetable shortening

2 cups confectioners' sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium-size bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla, then gradually add the sugar. When these things are well-mixed, add in the marshmallow fluff, for extra fluffiness.

I shouldn't even have to tell you how to assemble a sandwich cookie. It's quite simple. Just spread as much of the goo as you want on your cookie, and stick another one on top. Simple.

These taste much better than the store-bought ones. Trust me. :)

P.S. These cookies are also faboo for making ice cream sandwiches.

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Here is a kick-ass broiled fish recipe, that I came up with a few years ago. It's my favourite way to dress up flounder and tilapia. If you use tilapia, be sure to buy only fish that has been farm-raised here in the USA. Chinese tilapia is mucky-tasting, and is an inferior product, in general.

Jinxie's Good Fish Receipt (enough for two; can be doubled, tripled, whatever)

Preheat oven on "broil" setting

Four fish fillets, as uniform in size as possible; preferably tilapia, cold-water flounder, or cold-water sole

1/2 cup Progresso Italian-style breadcrumbs

1/4 cup Japanese panko breadcrumbs (these are optional, but they give a nice extra crunch to the topping. If they are not used, just up the Italian breadcrumbs to 3/4 cup)

1/2 cup shredded Parmesano Reggiano

One large lemon, cut into halves and seeded

4 large scallions, or a nice handful of fresh chives, chopped fine

1 stick of Blue Bonnet margarine

4 large cloves of garlic, minced or pressed

1 teaspoon of low-salt Cajun spice seasoning

OK, here's how it's done:

In a medium-size bowl, melt the margarine slightly, about 50 seconds in the microwave; then, add the garlic, and microwave until it just bubbles. Then, squeeze one half of the lemon into the butter, and mix well.

In another bowl, mix the two kinds of breadcrumbs together with the Cajun seasoning, and set aside.

In a cast iron skillet, take a bit of this butter mixture, and drizzle it on the bottom of the pan. Just a very thin layer, to keep the fish from sticking.

Take your fish fillets, and dunk them into the butter, coating both sides well. Arrange them in the cast iron skillet, with the thickest part of the fillet facing the edges of the pan. Next, top each fillet generously with the breadcrumb mixture, covering them well. Now, drizzle the remaining butter mixture generously over the top of the coated fish fillets. Sprinkle each fillet liberally with the shredded Parmesan, and then, the scallions or chives. Squeeze the other half of the lemon over all.

Put the fish into the oven, on the top rack, and broil for approximately 10 minutes-- or until the topping is browned nicely, and the fish flakes easily at the thickest part with a fork.

This fish is best served with pasta in a light cream sauce, and a green vegetable, such as asparagus or broccoli.

You'll LOVE this fish. Ask Enishi, as he's had it before. He still talks about it. :biggrin:

Veggie Enchiladas

You need:

a 9 x 13 baking dish

a mixing bowl

a large frying pan or skillet

a package with at least 6 fajita sized flour tortillas

a small can of Old El Paso red enchilada sauce (comes in mild, medium and hot, take your pick)

about 5 oz sour cream

1/2 package of fresh white or baby 'bella mushrooms, sliced

1 medium onion, chopped into long, thin slices(red makes the veggie mixture the prettiest, but yellow works ok if that's what you use)

1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced

1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced

1 poblano pepper, seeded and sliced (you can use a regular green pepper instead if you want, I just don't like them)

2 medium cloves of garlic, minced

1 package of mild cheddar cheese, shredded

1 package of monterrey jack cheese, shredded

1 tsp olive or vegetable oil

1/4 cup of water

2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or chicken if no one eating this is a strict vegetarian)

2 tbsp margarine

non-stick cooking spray (butter flavored works best)

black pepper, garlic salt, chili powder, and dried cilantro to taste

Melt the margarine in a large frying pan or skillet on high, add the oil

Add onions and lower heat to medium for about 5 minutes, stirring

Add garlic and mushrooms for a couple minutes, stirring

Add peppers, stir for about 2 minutes and lower heat to low

Add the water

Add the bouillon cubes and while waiting for them to dissolve add the black pepper, garlic salt, chili powder and cillantro

Stir and turn off heat

Preheat the oven to 350

In a medium sized mixing bowl pour the enchilada sauce

Add the sour cream and stir until smooth and blended

Spray the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray

Put about 3 tbsp of the sour cream sauce in the bottom of the dish and spread to cover

Take one of the tortillas and spray one side down with the cooking spray

Place that side down in the dish and put about 2 spoonfuls of veggies in it.

Sprinkle a pinch of the cheddar cheese on top of the veggies

Roll the tortilla up around the veggies and place in the dish so that the seam is on the bottom (if you did it right, the cooking spray should have softened the outside of the tortilla enough that it doesn't tear or come undone)

Repeat this process with the other 5 tortillas

Pour the rest of the sour cream sauce over the top. Try to cover every bit of the tortillas

Sprinkle a medium amount of monterrey jack cheese on the top

Bake for about 20 minutes.

Remove, allow to cool for a few minutes and serve I recommend making some of the homemade pico to go with this and serving with Spanish rice

Most of this stuff sounds great, although the "simple" suggestions seem pretty complex to me, being someone that doesn't so much "cook" as "fucks food up."

I love good food and such, just have very little ability to make it unless it is REAAAAAAALY simple. Like say bacon & eggs or just cooking boneless chicken. Having a nice friend or girlfriend cook me a nice dinner (i can help, just don't expect me to be able to organize the important parts) is awesome, really makes me feel good. Its just not the food, its the whole idea.

I really like pan fries of various varieties, lasagna , chicken dishes of all sorts, Mexican, middle eastern... ok getting way off topic. *shuts up and avoids posting in a topic he is totally unqualified for*

Most of this stuff sounds great, although the "simple" suggestions seem pretty complex to me, being someone that doesn't so much "cook" as "fucks food up."

I love good food and such, just have very little ability to make it unless it is REAAAAAAALY simple. Like say bacon & eggs or just cooking boneless chicken. Having a nice friend or girlfriend cook me a nice dinner (i can help, just don't expect me to be able to organize the important parts) is awesome, really makes me feel good. Its just not the food, its the whole idea.

I really like pan fries of various varieties, lasagna , chicken dishes of all sorts, Mexican, middle eastern... ok getting way off topic. *shuts up and avoids posting in a topic he is totally unqualified for*

You're more than welcome to come over for supper, anytime. Just give me a ring, if you ever want a home-cooked meal! I enjoy cooking, but I think it's silly to cook a big spread, just for myself. Therefore, I end up eating McFuck's (or eating ramen) quite often-- as it's cheap and economical for a person who lives alone.

This offer stands for any one of my friends, who hasn't had a good meal in awhile, and isn't fond of/good at cooking.

P.S. I am thinking about planning a brunch or dinner gathering, during HW's visit. A potluck picnic, perhaps? Our last potluck (i.e. "reception")went over quite well. Unfortunately, I was too busy with planning and preparation for the handfasting to prepare a dish, myself!

Edited by jynxxxedangel

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a recipe, but I just mashed up half an avocado and added 3 spoon fulls of my pico di gallo to make guacamole. Then I fried up a Boca burger and spread the guacamole on it in lieu of cheese or condiments. If you like guacamole I highly recommend you try it, either with a Boca burger or a real burger if you're a meat eater. Yummy!

I never measure anything so the measurements are a guess from the recipe I have.

Bean Dip:

16oz refried beans

16oz cream cheese

1 bunch green onions

16oz salsa

4 cups shredded cheese

Blend beans and cream cheese until smooth. Pour onto the bottom of a container (8x8?)

Top with salsa

Chop green onions then top the salsa with green onions

top with shredded cheese

• 2 weeks later...

Chicken Cheese Tortilla Soup (for 4 to 6, as an appetizer)

For the tortilla curls:

Take 4 large flour tortillas, and chop them into strips (larger than a chiffonade). Spray a cookie sheet with cooking oil spray, and spread the tortilla strips over it evenly. Spray them with more of the oil, and bake them for about ten minutes at 350 degrees, on the middle rack. They should be lightly golden brown, and crisp.

For the soup itself, you will need:

4 T. butter

1 t. Mexene chili powder

1/2 t. dutch cocoa powder

2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped

1/2 cup chopped onion

4 T. flour

4 small garden tomatoes (blanched, peeled, and chopped)

1 small can of green chiles, drained

3 cups chicken broth

3 cups half-and-half

12 oz. shredded Colby Jack cheese

salt, if needed

3 or 4 chopped scallions, for garnish

Melt the butter (at low heat) in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Add the chicken, chili powder, and cocoa, raise heat to medium low, and cook until opaque. Add the onions, cover the pan, and sweat all over low heat for 5 minutes. Uncover the pan, and add the flour, stirring for 2 minutes to cook away the raw flavour (do not allow it to brown, though).

Add the tomatoes and chiles, then pour the chicken broth over, and bring to a boil. Stir well, to ensure that the flour roux is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat, and simmer at low for 20 minutes, with the pan partially covered. The soup can be set aside at this point, to be completed later.

When ready to serve, bring the soup back to a boil, lower the heat to medium, and add the half-and half and shredded cheese. Stir it around once or twice, until the cheese has melted, and the soup is heated through. Turn off the heat immediately following this step, or your soup will curdle!

Ladle into large bowls, top with your tortilla curls, and the green onion. You may also want to put a bit more shredded cheese on top.

Variation: For a nice variation, I like to add about 1/2 cup of fresh sweet corn, cut from the cob. Add it at the same time you add the tomatoes and chiles.

This is THE BEST chicken tortilla soup you will EVER eat. I adapted it to my taste, from a recipe I found in a book, ages ago. ;)

Edited by jynxxxedangel