Iraq war a task from God?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been inferred by historians, politicians & scholars since the Constitution was written.

The idea was not to prevent religious practice, but to keep religious extremists of any kind from controlling government.

Wrong. The idea was to create Religious freedom.

Believing that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their Legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State

Religion is a subject on which I have ever been most scrupulously reserved. I have considered it as a matter between every man and his Maker in which no other, and far less the public, had a right to intermeddle

I do not believe it is for the interest of religion to invite the civil magistrate to direct its exercises, its discipline, or its doctrines; nor of the religious societies that the general government should be invested with the power of effecting any uniformity of time or matter among them. Fasting and prayer are religious exercises. The enjoining them, an act of discipline. Every religious society has a right to determine for itself the times for these exercises and the objects proper for them according to their own particular tenets; and this right can never be safer than in their own hands where the Constitution has deposited it... Every one must act according to the dictates of his own reason, and mine tells me that civil powers alone have been given to the President of the United States, and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents

Proscribing any citizen as unworthy the public confidence by laying upon him an incapacity of being called to offices of trust and emolument, unless he profess or renounce this or that religious opinion, is depriving him injuriously of those privileges and advantages to which, in common with his fellow citizens, he has a natural right; that it tends also to corrupt the principles of that very religion it is meant to encourage, by bribing, with a monopoly of worldly honours and emoluments, those who will externally profess and conform to it

The idea was Freedom OF Religion. I think that it's one of the feww times that the word OF is the most important one in the sentance.

Wrong. The idea was to create Religious freedom.

That's not entirely accurate. With regard to the Establishment Clause (1st Amendment), historical & scholarly inference has confirmed its meaning not only to protect religious freedom, but also to define & defend a distinct "wall" (hence the phrase "Wall letter" with reference to Thomas Jefferson's famous writing) between Church & State.

Reference: Thomas Jefferson's letter, 1802

True, but that still does not support your statement that

The idea was not to prevent religious practice, but to keep religious extremists of any kind from controlling government
. Not fully anyway. The "Wall" prevents the government from controlling religion in anyway or endorsing any religion over another.

I will give you some points though... in the modern world that wall does also serve the purpose that you address.

really?....you don't see how a man openly admitting that he had a change of faith is any different then a woman calling for a holy war and that a $30 billion dollar pipeline is "the will of God".

sass....comon now....we've had talks...I know your very intelligent....think about this one for a second.

I believe her thinking was erroneous - Iraq is no mission from God (now Joan of Arc, THAT little girl was on a mission from God!).

And the statement itself is, well, silly at best, freaky at worst. (I try to think the best).

I can TOTALLY see how I gave the impression that I was in favor of, or agreed with her statement.

I'm not and I don't.

But someone talked about separation of church and state and IN THAT FRAMEWORK, I don't think she crossed the line of separation of church and state - or at least, she is no farther across the line than Obama. I get the impression that Obama think's he himself is on a mission from God to get to the white house.

If you thought her statement crossed the line because it IS a ridiculous statement, and a ridiculous idea itself, then I agree.

I was more responding to the idea that you can't talk about God in your speeches, which is silly, I mean, actors do it ALL THE TIME when they accept their little trophies.

And if you think I'm intelligent, you haven't read a WORD I said :laugh:

The "Wall" prevents the government from controlling religion in anyway or endorsing any religion over another.

I think I understand your confusion. Perhaps the word extremist is a bit too strong.

However, the separation does exist to prevent religion from having undue influence over the government. And vice-versa. Relgious control over political decision-making was one possibility Jefferson fought fiercely against.

I finally got around to looking up the speach... I found an odd thing... No one is posting the FULL quote. i found something that surprised me (heavy sarcasm)... People are leaving important bits out of it...

“Pray for our military. He's [Palin's son Trask] going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country – that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. That’s what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan.”

Well hey, with all of it... the meaning gets changed... a great deal. On top of that... it's a a paraphrase of a quote by Lincoln.

I finally got around to looking up the speach... I found an odd thing... No one is posting the FULL quote. i found something that surprised me (heavy sarcasm)... People are leaving important bits out of it...

"Pray for our military. He's [Palin's son Trask] going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country – that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure we are praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Well hey, with all of it... the meaning gets changed... a great deal. On top of that... it's a a paraphrase of a quote by Lincoln.

That kind of reminds me of how Al Gore "Invented the Internet".... and that was taken so out of context.... lol

“Pray for our military (fine) . He's [Palin's son Trask] going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country (fine) – that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God (RED FLAG) . That’s what we have to make sure we are praying for (fine) , that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan (RED FLAG).

"Pray for our military (fine) . He's [Palin's son Trask] going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country (fine) – that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God (RED FLAG) . That's what we have to make sure we are praying for (fine) , that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan (RED FLAG). "

+1

i never have understood mans need to justify his warring nature with the good ol no separation between church and actions of the state speaches

i dont think any god would give the ok to bomb people out of greed... arrogance... intollerance...

but this 'its gods will' thing has been used since the beginning of tribes

arrogance_122.jpg

“Pray for our military (fine) . He's [Palin's son Trask] going to be deployed in September to Iraq. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country (fine) – that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God (RED FLAG) . That’s what we have to make sure we are praying for (fine) , that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan (RED FLAG).

OK, I know you have good reading comprehension and writing skills bro, so why are you intentionally ignoring sentence structure to make a point.

Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God

There is implied content. The sentance could have been written as two, but to save words, contracted to one.

As such:

Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country.

Pray that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. (As in a "good thing" and not folly)

The statement is not that what is being asked is some task handed down from God, but a hope that it is met with God's approval.

Guest GodfallenPromos

OK, I know you have good reading comprehension and writing skills bro, so why are you intentionally ignoring sentence structure to make a point.

There is implied content. The sentance could have been written as two, but to save words, contracted to one.

As such:

Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do also what is right for this country.

Pray that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God. (As in a "good thing" and not folly)

The statement is not that what is being asked is some task handed down from God, but a hope that it is met with God's approval.

thats one way to spin it....but I don't believe thats what Palin is implying

As such:

There is NO ";", so your wrong this time... the Lady (or the speech writer) fucked up... (besides... how many in this country know Grammar?)

There is nothing else to imply when the full quote is there. You have to ignore some of the keys words of the sentence to get the meaning you are getting. Thats why no one reporting it as her saying something bad includes those words.

Pray that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God.

You must be kidding... a "task from G*D" (to people I know) is synonymous with a "labor of love"...

I do not ignore words... they wrote the fuckin' speech wrong...

...& I am seeing the same pattern... people in the GOP fucking up... & being afraid to admit it.

...THEY FEAR THEIR OWN HUMANITY... (the way I see the situation, & the others surrounding it.)

As such:

I just don't think the implied content is as clear cut as you seem to think it is.

Rest assured, however, that Gov. Palin will not make such a mistake again. I'm sure McCain's handlers are all over her about such things now.

Guest GodfallenPromos

I just don't think the implied content is as clear cut as you seem to think it is.

Rest assured, however, that Gov. Palin will not make such a mistake again. I'm sure McCain's handlers are all over her about such things now.

now the question is....will she play ball, or buck the saddle to keep her "female maverick, against the good -ol boys" image...

There is NO ";", so your wrong this time... the Lady (or the speech writer) fucked up... (besides... how many in this country know Grammar?)

It's not an independent clause, else it would have a semi colon.

that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God.

Can not stand as a sentence on it's own. So no semi-colon.

The word "that" in the beginning is the subordinating conjunction that hints at needing a word from the first clause. In this case, Pray.

I know a little bit about grammar and it seems Palin's speech writer does to.

It's not an independent clause, else it would have a semi colon.

Can not stand as a sentence on it's own. So no semi-colon.

The word "that" in the beginning is the subordinating conjunction that hints at needing a word from the first clause. In this case, Pray.

I know a little bit about grammar and it seems Palin's speech writer does to.

Pray that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God.

Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God.

Can stand upon it's own... therefor... you are in fact... WRONG SIR!

Archived