Howstuff works entry on hysterical strength.

Enishi

I was surfing around and found this entry on howstuffworks. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Hysterical strength

Woman vs. Polar Bear­

Adrenaline doesn't just help people lift cars from children. In Ivujivik, Quebec, in 2006, Lydia Angyiou wrestled a large polar bear that she saw advancing toward her son and another boy while they played hockey. Angyiou tackled the polar bear and fought it while the boys ran for help. While Angyiou suffered some wounds, the polar bear ultimately lost the fight. Angyiou sparred with it long enough that a neighbor was able to shoot the bear four times until it died.

Truth be told, I'm skeptical of whether adrenaline and increased employment of muscle fibers past the usual 33% can fully explain this. I mean, good lord, wrestling a freaking polar bear, you'd need something like thirty times your normal strength. :ohmy:

I was surfing around and found this entry on howstuffworks. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Hysterical strength

Truth be told, I'm skeptical of whether adrenaline and increased employment of muscle fibers past the usual 33% can fully explain this. I mean, good lord, wrestling a freaking polar bear, you'd need something like thirty times your normal strength. :ohmy:

No...youre body knows WAY more about Physics than your brain does...she just let the body go...a superb example of "THE ZEN MACHEINE".

Archived