President Eligibility Question

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen

of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this

Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President;

There it is. Now the question. Is Barack Obama eligible for Office of President? Was John McCain eligible for Office of President?

McCain was born in Panama to two US citizens.

Obama may have been born in Kenya to one US citizen. FYI: Kenya was under British rule when Obama was born, so he would be [have been] a british/american citizen if true.

My own opinion is this: The second part of the sentence seems to make it clear that both McCain and Obama are eligible for Office of President, as both are Citizens of the United states.

There it is. Now the question. Is Barack Obama eligible for Office of President? Was John McCain eligible for Office of President?

McCain was born in Panama to two US citizens.

Obama may have been born in Kenya to one US citizen. FYI: Kenya was under British rule when Obama was born, so he would be [have been] a british/american citizen if true.

My own opinion is this: The second part of the sentence seems to make it clear that both McCain and Obama are eligible for Office of President, as both are Citizens of the United states.

Um, they ARE eligible, but not under the second part, but the first. The natural citizenship law allows a person to be declared a natural citizen of the U.S. in the case that one or both a person's parents are citizens (who have resided on U.S. soil within, I forget how many years) and they, at 18, denounce citizenship to any other country and have never accepted citizenship from any other country. Such allowances are necessary for, think back to before planes, the children of diplomats and traders who were not born ON U.S. soil to be able to be U.S. citizens.

Um, they ARE eligible, but not under the second part, but the first. The natural citizenship law allows a person to be declared a natural citizen of the U.S. in the case that one or both a person's parents are citizens (who have resided on U.S. soil within, I forget how many years) and they, at 18, denounce citizenship to any other country and have never accepted citizenship from any other country. Such allowances are necessary for, think back to before planes, the children of diplomats and traders who were not born ON U.S. soil to be able to be U.S. citizens.

You're confusing "natural born citizen" with "naturalized citizen", but I agree with you all the same.

You have to remember that Congress had to declare McCain a "natural born" citizen to shut people up about his eligibility. There was no such declaration for Obama because it was believed he was born in Hawaii.. now that's coming into doubt.

Personally the law should state that you are a natural born citizen if at least one of your parents are american citizens. To me that just seems like logic; You were BORN to an american citizen, that makes you naturally born an american citizen, no matter where in the world you were at the time.

You're confusing "natural born citizen" with "naturalized citizen", but I agree with you all the same.

You have to remember that Congress had to declare McCain a "natural born" citizen to shut people up about his eligibility. There was no such declaration for Obama because it was believed he was born in Hawaii.. now that's coming into doubt.

Personally the law should state that you are a natural born citizen if at least one of your parents are american citizens. To me that just seems like logic; You were BORN to an american citizen, that makes you naturally born an american citizen, no matter where in the world you were at the time.

Perhaps I am confusing the terms, but I thought "naturalization" was the process that persons who were citizens of other countries BECOME U.S. citizens. Natural born citizens would be the ones like you describe and who have NEVER been a citizen of another country AND for whom at least one parent is either a natural born or naturalized citizen, regardless of where in the world he or she was born. I have to admit, I am a little fuzzy on this, so I'm looking it up now.

Military bases and Embassy's are considered to be part of the USA. If you are born in one, you are a citizen.

McCain was born on a military base in Panama. He is a citizen.

Obama may or may not have been born in Kenya. His birth record is sealed. He claims to have been born in Hawaii, hospital officials there back him up. No one has seen his birth record. If it turns out he was born in Kenya, it invalidates his eligibility.

True? I don't know. I highly doubt we would ever know if it were.

Military bases and Embassy's are considered to be part of the USA. If you are born in one, you are a citizen.

McCain was born on a military base in Panama. He is a citizen.

Obama may or may not have been born in Kenya. His birth record is sealed. He claims to have been born in Hawaii, hospital officials there back him up. No one has seen his birth record. If it turns out he was born in Kenya, it invalidates his eligibility.

True? I don't know. I highly doubt we would ever know if it were.

Although I still agree that McCain is a citizen and eligible for POTUS under that section, he was not born on a military base. He was born in the Canal Zone, which was Panama territory leased to the United States. To quote good ol' Wiki

Almost from the inception of the Canal Zone, questions arose as to whether the Zone was considered part of the United States for constitutional purposes, or, in the phrase of the day, whether the Constitution followed the flag. On July 28, 1904, Controller of the Treasury Robert Tracewell stated, "While the general spirit and purpose of the Constitution is applicable to the zone, that domain is not a part of the United States within the full meaning of the Constitution and laws of the country.[4]

In 1953, Congress passed legislation to specify the status of Americans born in the Canal Zone--and to exclude non-Americans born there from citizenship. Title 8, Section 1403 of the United States Code[5] grants citizenship to those born in the Canal Zone with at least one parent who is a United States citizen. This differs from the provision in the Fourteenth Amendment which grants citizenship to all born in the United States, regardless of parental nationality.

That legislation would not have been needed if the Canal Zone were considered a military installation.

Why is this being brought up in the first place? It yet another reason for people that support Obama to bitch about McCain and another reason for McCain suppporters to bitch about Obama. Not to mention the fact that it is all over anyways.

I would like to say that even though I think that its more than a little odd that Obama's birth records were kept secret I couldn't really give two shits either way. I mean, if there is nothing to hide what is the problem with showing it but that is his choice to make. I personally hate how all of this political shit is more about where someone was born, their race, sex, age, etc. Who gives a fuck? Really? Is this really needed and does it really have any bearing on how good the politician will be?

I for one am sick of these stupid bitches yelling at me for being a racist when I merely say that I don't think that Obama will work out. True there are many things that I don't like about the man but the color of his skin is the last thing that comes to my mind. This tells me that more people probably voted for Obama because he was black, though I could be wrong. It also tells me that racism is still around because some African Americans actaully want it to be around.

But yeah although the American citizenship thing may be an issue I think that it is one of those things that is best left along. As long as they don't speak broken english or haven't been living in the states for less than 10 years I am ok with them. The points we should focus on now are the things that Obama said that he would work on or change. Personally I can't wait until he falls on his face but thats just me.

I think it should be changed...somewhat...

I think if your a longtime citizen of this country, weither born here or not, you should have the right ot run, especially if you can run for every OTHER office.

I understand the dangers, but think of some of the benefits. People make fun of Arnolds accent and movie past...but look at what he is doing over there in California!! The man has a damn good track record so far. I am not saying he would run...but if he did...I would vote for him.

but look at what he is doing over there in California!! The man has a damn good track record so far.

You're right. Cali's almost broke, just like the US.

Anyways, I'm bringing this up because this should NEVER have become an issue.

There needs to be a clear definition of exactly what and who is a "natural born citizen". Right now there is NONE.

As I have said, if at least one parent is a US citizen, naturalized or natural, then any children resulting should be considered "natural born", no matter where on Earth they're born.

You can show links to that Birth cert all you want. It's not certified. Yes, it has the word certified on it... but doesn't have a Notary stamp. That means that not only is not not legal... it means there is no way to know when it was made.

will you EVER stop being a hater?

Twinkle, Twinkle....don't hate, participate.

Archived