Judge allows 8 year old girl to wed.

Saudi women's group assails judge over 8-year-old's marriage

A group fighting for women's rights in Saudi Arabia condemned a judge Wednesday for refusing to annul the marriage of an 8-year-old girl to a 47-year-old man.

The group's co-founder, Wajeha al-Huwaider, told CNN that achieving human rights in the kingdom means standing against those who want to "keep us backward and in the dark ages."

The Society of Defending Women's Rights in Saudi Arabia, in a statement published on its Web site, called on the "minister of justice and human rights groups to interfere now in this case" by divorcing the girl from the man. "They must end this marriage deal which was made by the father of the girl and the husband."

On Saturday, the judge, Sheikh Habib Abdallah al-Habib, dismissed a petition brought by the girl's mother.

The mother's lawyer, Abdullah al-Jutaili, said the judge found that the mother -- who is separated from the girl's father -- is not the legal guardian, and therefore cannot represent her daughter.

The judge requested, and received, a pledge from the husband, who was in court, not to allow the marriage to be consummated until the girl reaches puberty, al-Jutaili said. When she reaches puberty, the judge ruled, the girl will have the right to request a divorce by filing a petition with the court, the lawyer said.

Al-Jutaili said the girl's father arranged the marriage in order to settle his debts with the man, "a close friend" of his.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/24/...=rss_topstories

I don't see why this bitch is complaining, her blessed prophet of Allah, Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) already set a precedent among muslims that if it's old enough to bleed it's old enough to breed. So her daughter's too good for muslim tradition? Get the stones!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/24/...=rss_topstories

I don't see why this bitch is complaining, her blessed prophet of Allah, Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) already set a precedent among muslims that if it's old enough to bleed it's old enough to breed. So her daughter's too good for muslim tradition? Get the stones!

Actually that was in a time when people didn't live very long. In fact the best estimate we have for the age of Mary when she gave birth to Jesus is somewhere between 12 and 14. It was probably a good thing at the time because it kept the species of humans going. Let us not forget that from Arabia we were given algebra (or at least the formal principles of which). Yes I hate it, however that being said I probably wouldn't be typing on a computer without it.

Say someone in the Mid-East in the 7th century waits to get married for another 10 years. Keeping in mind that lifespans were shorter we could also suppose she did not give birth to as many children. Now let's suppose that among the unborn in that family tree we have Muhammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī. Out go many of the fundamental principles of higher mathematics, which made plenty of technology possible including the computer. No computer, no internet, no detroitgothic.net

Is it true that things like that still happen more often in that part of the world? yes.

However judging on my experiences with the Muslims I have met, most of them (actually now that i come to think of it, all of them) would not be down with that. These people do not speak for all Muslims the same way Pat Robertson doesn't speak for all Christians. Maybe I'm just fascinated with Islam and the Middle East. But this is all just one man's opinion.

Sorry Slogo, using logic to defend muslims loses you the internet.

These are people who are living under Sharia, they have already decided that what is in the Koran is law, it doesn't matter how old, or obsolete that is. Muhammed set the precedent that 9yr old girls were kosher. Therefore this woman is blasphemous and should be stoned, and her daughter is ripe for the plucking the day she done with her first period.

Sorry Slogo, using logic to defend muslims loses you the internet.

These are people who are living under Sharia, they have already decided that what is in the Koran is law, it doesn't matter how old, or obsolete that is. Muhammed set the precedent that 9yr old girls were kosher. Therefore this woman is blasphemous and should be stoned, and her daughter is ripe for the plucking the day she done with her first period.

Muhammad the Prophet followed by islam had a 12 year old wife and 12 wives in total I saw on a show on tv. I dont read the quran tho.

$$

I don't think this is the time to be flip. That poor girl. I have nothing but sympathy for her.

AGREED.

Besides, you seem to be condemning all of Islam based on the actions of a certain subgroup. That seems equivalent to condemning Christianity based on the actions of...

the Yearning for Zion group in Texas

or the right-wing militants who kill abortion doctors because "murder is wrong"

or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormons)

In Islam as well as in Christianity, no single group can represent the whole.

AGREED.

Besides, you seem to be condemning all of Islam based on the actions of a certain subgroup. That seems equivalent to condemning Christianity based on the actions of...

the Yearning for Zion group in Texas

or the right-wing militants who kill abortion doctors because "murder is wrong"

or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormons)

In Islam as well as in Christianity, no single group can represent the whole.

uh.... this is the GOVERNMENT of SAUDI ARABIA.

Can you find Mecca on a map?

Seriously, you can't tell the difference between the government of the Islam capital of the world condoning paedophilia, and David Koresh just brainwashing morons?

Archived