Martial arts

d:konstruct

So my wife and I are tired of the mcdojos and business money making schools all around us. We got to thinking about starting a local martial arts society just for people to get together and share and train. There would be no contracts, no investments, etc. It would be strictly for sharing and exchanging ideas, techniques, etc. It would be a group that fuses all styles and forms. If you are interested let me know. We will not be openly promoting this in many other places. We plan on training in a respectful environment with respectful people. Most of our friends train in ninjutsu and we were thinking about sharing some skills with others as well as our tai chi backgrounds. We also will be training in Krav maga soon and can bring that to the training. I've also had training in shotokan, tae kwon do, and a little kung fu.

No money

Just training

Blood, sweat, tears, and friendship

A Society or brotherhood of sorts

Your thoughts?

So my wife and I are tired of the mcdojos and business money making schools all around us. We got to thinking about starting a local martial arts society just for people to get together and share and train. There would be no contracts, no investments, etc. It would be strictly for sharing and exchanging ideas, techniques, etc. It would be a group that fuses all styles and forms. If you are interested let me know. We will not be openly promoting this in many other places. We plan on training in a respectful environment with respectful people. Most of our friends train in ninjutsu and we were thinking about sharing some skills with others as well as our tai chi backgrounds. We also will be training in Krav maga soon and can bring that to the training. I've also had training in shotokan, tae kwon do, and a little kung fu.

No money

Just training

Blood, sweat, tears, and friendship

A Society or brotherhood of sorts

Your thoughts?

i'm terribly interested in tai chi, as well as teh rest, but i'm on the other side of the state, which makes me sad...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,

We are trying to plan something. Please give me more feedback on what you would be looking for.

well, i have almost no experience with any martial arts, beyond a month or two of okinawan (sp?) karate, a couple of tae kwon do hyungs (learned from books), and a basic understanding of tai chi (oh, yeah, a couple falls & a couple wrist/arm locks from aikido). i'd personally be interested in being exposed to different disciplines to see what might further interest me, although i'm positive i'd like to learn tai chi as a meditative/energy practice. i'm pretty much open to experiencing any of it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

thats great. this is great. you guy's should do it. found a non profit mma organization. open to all who are willing to learn, and uphold the code of honor similar to klingon values. respect to all despite so many diferences and level of skill. i fully suport this. as an avid martial artist i must say this is a most noble endevour. It's completely necessary. I wish i had mony to donate to this site and to it's new martial arts foundation. I would love to be able to attend but i'm in florida, I've been lifting weights, swimming, playing basketball, doing mma at a local dojo, and will soon be fighting with the sca (sword fighting). many folks of many varied styles and experience attend the mma accadamy and the SCA. There is something to be said about the purity of a style losing it's effectiveness when basic principles behind it are overlooked. like if your tae kwon do you fight fron the side like don the dragon wilson. if not fighting from the side alot of tae kwon do will seem inefective. every style has points of weakness and can be deluded like wine. but that means that their is an art to blending styles, an art to the application of strategy, what will beat what? style vs style can be very interesting, as long as the practicioners show respect and don't get overly competative. I would entirley support your campaign. I have alot to learn and alot to teach. most recently we had a kempo instructor in class, the basic principles of kempo karate are far different then tae kwon do. thinking kempo think wesley snipes, moving into your opponents strikes facing foward for in-fighting, different then fighting from the side and protecting your range, striking distance and balance. in my experience it goes like this. : kung fu beats wrestling...wrestling beats boxing and ju-jitsu.....tae kwon do beats kung fu...wrestling beats some okanowan styles. jeet kune do loses to akido or tae kwon do some times. ju-jitsu is funny cause you should know it enough to avoid it. if your stronger then some one they cannot bend you any way. if you catch some one unaware ju-jitsu is an end game but will not help you in a boxing match or fighting a crowd of opponents at once. it's tough to depend on one thing alone so it's good to have something for everyone. I have this street ninja book it's a little cheasy but there is alot of good stuff in it. when were in middle school me and seven friends set out to study different uniqe styles and compare them sorta to form a highly trianed strike force, different weapon sets for each like the ninja turtles. we were kids man. but we did it. rob learned iron palm and yoga to counter my ju-jitsu. he can bend like a contortionist and punch his index finger into a coke can even when its under preasure sealed. shep learned mui thia and iron body with rob. you see those breaking guys on tv well shep is 6'4 420lbs he can break 2x4's on his face now. my brother got sick of ju-jitsu being used on him so he just lifted till he was ridiculously strong like D-BO in friday and no one could bend him. I moved from ju-jitsu to wrestling and we all kept progressing in different styles to counter one another. so ten years later here we are just like when we were 8 and watching ninja turtles it's all good. I hope things work out for the non-proffit organization. if it does maybee i can make like a sister school down here in FL mirrored after yours. keep us informed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...