What do YOU want to hear the DJs spin?

Raev

:respect:

You sir have eclectic taste. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dream Aid by Haujobb and that one's even pushing old school night teritory now. I threw down 242's Relgion a few months back (I think you might have even been there that night) and it seemed to do very well. Why is it these songs don't sound so dated?

Been known to throw down soem Unter Null as well. "Sick Fuck" would be my track of choice and anytime I played it I always had an inquiry as to what it was. She has a new cd coming out VERY soon and I expect some tracks will make their way to the CC dancefloor. She's really progressed as an artist in a short time.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that so many people are requesting music from 10+ years ago. Really hope you people are taking note of the old school nights and planning on attending those. I haven't been scheduled to DJ one yet but I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and try to get onboard for DJ'ing one. Having worked at Blitz Records, Absolute Music and Harmony House and being an avid industrial/electornic collector for 20+ years I'm confident I could dust off some classics long forgotten and not often heard.

However...

with that said, we have to look to the future of music and this scene as well. The new stuff shows progression and where the genres are heading. There's further exploration of new sounds and new ideas, genres getting broken down, merging into one. It's the new that keeps music exciting and interesting - it's what will assist the club in moving forward rather then rehashing the past over and over and over again. Not saying we need to do away with all things old as there's some timeless classics for sure, but there's so much current new material that deserves YOUR attention. The times and the culture are changing and music goes hand in hand with that.

Just my thoughts...

You sir have eclectic taste. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dream Aid by Haujobb and that one's even pushing old school night teritory now. I threw down 242's Relgion a few months back (I think you might have even been there that night) and it seemed to do very well. Why is it these songs don't sound so dated?

Been known to throw down soem Unter Null as well. "Sick Fuck" would be my track of choice and anytime I played it I always had an inquiry as to what it was. She has a new cd coming out VERY soon and I expect some tracks will make their way to the CC dancefloor. She's really progressed as an artist in a short time.

I hope I am there when Unter Null is "thrown down"...

any chance of Nurzery being thrown down? or perhaps Psyclon Nine?

Interesting that so many people are requesting music from 10+ years ago. Really hope you people are taking note of the old school nights and planning on attending those. I haven't been scheduled to DJ one yet but I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and try to get onboard for DJ'ing one. Having worked at Blitz Records, Absolute Music and Harmony House and being an avid industrial/electornic collector for 20+ years I'm confident I could dust off some classics long forgotten and not often heard.

However...

with that said, we have to look to the future of music and this scene as well. The new stuff shows progression and where the genres are heading. There's further exploration of new sounds and new ideas, genres getting broken down, merging into one. It's the new that keeps music exciting and interesting - it's what will assist the club in moving forward rather then rehashing the past over and over and over again. Not saying we need to do away with all things old as there's some timeless classics for sure, but there's so much current new material that deserves YOUR attention. The times and the culture are changing and music goes hand in hand with that.

Just my thoughts...

I agree with saint that new stuff for sure needs to be heard! We are waaaay behind as far as what is going on in the industrial world, you are one of the only ones trying to open our eyes, I appreciate it, I also apreciate some of the stuff that has been played over and over for the past 4 years (vnv, assemblage, grendal, ect) but it needs to be EVERYTHING,

X-rx

Sisters of Mercy

Icon of Coil

Chain Reactor

Skinny Puppy

Tactical Sekt

Bauhaus

Combichrist

Nitzer Ebb

All of it needs to happen... not

Icon

icon

Combi

Wolfsiem

VnV

Grendal

grendal

msi (cringes)

Overplayed Sisters song (maybe)

And then start back at the top

AND NO, I WILL BE HOSTILE DAMNIT! RAAAAWWWR

I hate all of you...you suck.

When there was an old school industrial/goth/death rock night, most people would have some lame excuse to not come (EVEN WHEN IT WAS FREE), but then go to city and bitch, the same goes for people that bitch at Saint for playing the only good new stuff that comes out...your all dumb...

k im done, going to go drink more and probably not post for another 3 months.

co-sign!!!

Dead-Line though short lived was the most musically diverse night in Detroit.

Sadly, not enough people came out and Dead-Line faded away. Perhaps if we played tons of Combichrist,VNV,and all the other Goth Club 101 hits Dead-line might have took off.

Sadly when it comes to Goth,Industrial,EBM,etc i am stuck in the past. To me that's when artists made music that mattered, not dime a dozen water down techno/trance with goth flavoring or harsh distorted vocals. I don't see how most of the new music that comes out can be considered any form of progression.

chernobyl mentioned shaolyn "face down", is that track actually getting played out???

GARBAGE!!! WTF has become of the "goth,industrial,etc scene"???

A filler EBM sounding track that recycles an old 2 live crew vocal... "face down ass up thats the way we like to fuck" is a club hit?

Whats next, modulate doing a cover "my neck, my back, lick my pussy,& my crack"

... shaolyn "face down", is that track actually getting played out???...

Heh - in a response above, that Shaolyn track was simply a (for lack of a better word) gimmick to get the project known and recognized quickly. It worked didn't it? She's got a new track coming out on the Endzeit Bunkertracks 5 comp and some other new tracks waiting to be released. In due time we'll find out Shaolyn is more than just a gimmick.

And sure the industrial scene has probably taken more than a few wrong turns along the way and theirs plenty of copy cat acts out there now... but look at your big name bands from years past that manage to still be around today (thinking Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Vomito Negro, Nitzer Ebb)... the reason they are STILL around today is because they EVOLVE and PROGRESS. Let's look at it like this; Suicide Commando better today than 15 years ago because he's progressed to working with modern sounds. Sisters of Mercy no new album in 15 years because he hasn't figured out how to progress...

regardless my friend, it's just music... not a big deal. This whole post has gone in 200000 directions since it started...

Damn, do I miss Dead-Line

Heh - in a response above, that Shaolyn track was simply a (for lack of a better word) gimmick to get the project known and recognized quickly. It worked didn't it? She's got a new track coming out on the Endzeit Bunkertracks 5 comp and some other new tracks waiting to be released. In due time we'll find out Shaolyn is more than just a gimmick.

And sure the industrial scene has probably taken more than a few wrong turns along the way and theirs plenty of copy cat acts out there now... but look at your big name bands from years past that manage to still be around today (thinking Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Vomito Negro, Nitzer Ebb)... the reason they are STILL around today is because they EVOLVE and PROGRESS. Let's look at it like this; Suicide Commando better today than 15 years ago because he's progressed to working with modern sounds. Sisters of Mercy no new album in 15 years because he hasn't figured out how to progress...

regardless my friend, it's just music... not a big deal. This whole post has gone in 200000 directions since it started...

Damn, do I miss Dead-Line

i know it's just music, and my opinion does not matter, but face down ass up, lol.

as much as i can appreciate the actual position, having a ebm version is a bit... sad.

perhaps we will get blessed with ebm versions of these gems...

dance, too much booty in the pants.

if this dont make ya booty move, ya booty must be dead. ("dead" can give it that extra goth touch)

i like bigg butts

shake that ass girl and make that coochy wet

or

shake that ass girl and let me see what you got

or if we're really lucky...

endzeit tracks vol.15... whoomp there it is (combi critter mix)

Edited by wilhelm k

This thread has made me wonder something a few times since its been going.... if there were no request list, no kids quibbling for msi and combichrist every 5 seconds, and the dj's could truly play whatever they wanted, what would we all play? I have some ideas, but I suppose I wouldn't really know truly until the time came....

God, that'd be a great day. See also, educational!

This thread has made me wonder something a few times since its been going.... if there were no request list, no kids quibbling for msi and combichrist every 5 seconds, and the dj's could truly play whatever they wanted, what would we all play? I have some ideas, but I suppose I wouldn't really know truly until the time came....

God, that'd be a great day. See also, educational!

you should do it. requests are part of the game, but sometimes you just gotta let go.

i can recall many times in the past where i got sick of being a human jukebox. i wanted to choke a fool when i heard "can you play that i want to fuck you like an animal song". i can only imagine how annoying it is for you guys that dj @ city club. i would be fired for throwing poo at people if i dj'ed there on a regular basis.

That was a great song back in the day - but that was 1997. Hah.

I love KMFDM but there are so many other songs of theirs that are newer that have a good dance beat that could be played in place of Anarchy.

Attak/Reload (maybe)

Free Your Hate

Hau Ruck

New American Century (good dance beat, imo)

Professional Killer

Real Thing

Looking For Strange (big thumbs up from me)

Tohuvabohu

Almost anything off of Skold vs KMFDM

Just my thoughts on an anarchy replacement. :)

Dogma

Nihil

Brute

Terror

Search and Destroy

Go to Hell

Beast

Hau Ruck (Special K mix)

Edited by KatRN05

I'd go out of my way to attend a no request night. I've danced to songs never before experienced, simply because I was all ready on the floor surrounded by people. Its not that hard to find the rhythm. Not only did this make me feel fuzzy on the inside, it also deterred the creepy guy from pursuing me further, since he was at an utter loss of how to dance to it.

Now, if you wanted to be smart-asses, you could provide black request paper and a black ink pen to write them down with...You'd only need a single sheet to last you the entire night.

:thanks:

Edited by Iris

Saint and void 6 DID do a no request night called progression didnt they?

This is why I probably would fail at city, I would play music (all kinds probably) but I doubt I would even look at the request sheet unless it was someone I knew personally, since its a 90% chance its a a vnv/icon/combi/NiN/MSI track.

Saint and void 6 DID do a no request night called progression didnt they?

This is why I probably would fail at city, I would play music (all kinds probably) but I doubt I would even look at the request sheet unless it was someone I knew personally, since its a 90% chance its a a vnv/icon/combi/NiN/MSI track.

I think Progression focused more on getting new music heard rather than being a strictly non-request night. Kinda like old school nights have been a trip down memory lane.

I think Progression focused more on getting new music heard rather than being a strictly non-request night. Kinda like old school nights have been a trip down memory lane.

Yeah you are correct. Progression focused more on newer music. We still played requests however.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to hear Anders Manga -Bad Girls go to hell, and beautiful

Cruxshadows- anything really by them

Anders Manga spammed me for months and months and months. He got my email from some other (now defunct) label that sent me promos and then Anders proceeded to send me unwanted mp3 after unwanted mp3. It took like 15 email exchanges with him (each time him becoming more of an asshole) to finally get removed from his damn email list. I won't play any of their music as a result of this, but moreso because the music just lacks anything of interest/credibility for me also.

Anders Manga spammed me for months and months and months. He got my email from some other (now defunct) label that sent me promos and then Anders proceeded to send me unwanted mp3 after unwanted mp3. It took like 15 email exchanges with him (each time him becoming more of an asshole) to finally get removed from his damn email list. I won't play any of their music as a result of this, but moreso because the music just lacks anything of interest/credibility for me also.

dang that sucks. Oh well. I like a few of their songs. Just a shame you had a bad experience with all that crap. I guess I wouldnt blame you for being put off. Oh well I always have my iPod for listening to them lol.

Let me think....

Meatbeat Manifesto - Unavailable Memory

Life Cried - Guardian

Coil - Love's Secret Domain

Pop Will Eat Itself - Underbelly

Nitzer Ebb - Godhead

Mind.In.A.Box - Walking

Infomatik - Peril Eyes

Hilt - Get Out Of The Grave

The Final Cut - Primal Understanding

Manufacture - End of Days

Ditto to the tee. The day his massive amounts of emails stopped flooding my inbox was a very happy day. Sometimes, less is more ;)

I haven’t heard any of his earlier stuff yet, but I do have Anders Manga’s latest release, and I thought it was alright. Although now after hearing that the guy was somewhat of an a$$ with his emails makes me think a bit differently. That’s just another example to show that common decency goes a long way.

Let me think....

Meatbeat Manifesto - Unavailable Memory

Life Cried - Guardian

Coil - Love's Secret Domain

Pop Will Eat Itself - Underbelly

Nitzer Ebb - Godhead

Mind.In.A.Box - Walking

Infomatik - Peril Eyes

Hilt - Get Out Of The Grave

The Final Cut - Primal Understanding

Manufacture - End of Days

Yay, I heart Informatik. ;-) Also, some good old skool requests in there. I'm sure we'll be having more old skool nights at City soon.