The Phoenix Cafe

I wanted to promote this coffee house I discovered located in Hazel Park at 10 and John R. They have been around since sometime last summer and feature great events from open mic, open drum, live bands, and even karaoke (which I love). Check it out sometime. Here is a link to the website. The artwork in the place is great too.

http://sites.google.com/site/phoenixcafe48030/home

Ha, ha, ha! Thanks, kat. I've been longing for a coffeehouse home since Trixie's went out of business. I took a peek at the website you provided and see photos of some very familiar faces (folks I know from the 14+ years I've been hanging out at open mics). Now I know where to find my brethren. Thanks again.

• 14 years later...

Was looking through old threads looking for something else and stumbled across this.  I had some good times there, especially going to the steampunk nights with Sasha and her opossum (I VJed one of those once too!) and just hanging out in general.  It was a mile from me too.

They had crazy steampunk art on the walls and the owner had a desk set up by the entrance in the back with all sorts of in progress projects on it.  The stage was set up in the front and that entryway was blocked off.  They didn't have a food/liquor license so everything was BYOB and donations.  It was also an art gallery which they sold a lot of.  They'd also have classes there for things like drawing (See What Stacey Started), I don't know what else and I never really went to those except for when there was an event after.

Unfortunately the original owner died:  http://paganmichigan.wikidot.com/event:steampunk-art-show-in-honor-of-michael-wiggins Then after a few years and unsuccessfully trying to save it Steve (the new owner) ended up selling.  I'm not sure if they knew each other or not but I was surprised that my friend from high school Lyle bought it.  Now it's known as Youngblood's, where he does haircuts in the front and his wife sells clothing in the back.

There was a Phoenix II for a minute that was farther East down 10 Mile, but it didn't last too long.  I never actually made it there myself.