I watched a doc on the sex pistols where Johnny Rotten described Sid Vicious' look as having become non punk and he actually used the word goth with a tone that made you think it was the most horrible thing any punk could become.

So it looks to me that the whole "goth" thing has been around longer than most of the people that call themselves goth or have adopted the goth image.

As far as the question of age goes, is it really important what a persons age is or is this a way to distance one's self from those they wish not to be associated with?

Regardless of what the scene is.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks to me that the whole "goth" thing has been around longer than most of the people that call themselves goth or have adopted the goth image.

Well...yeah.

As far as the question of age goes, is it really important what a persons age is or is this a way to distance one's self from those they wish not to be associated with?

Regardless of what the scene is.

Pretty much what I was getting at in my 1st post here in this thread - my "dropping out" or distancing myself had nothing to do with getting older; it was more about what was happening to the scene. This is the case for many people who were in the scene. Even nowadays, those who would be considered genuinely "goth" cringe at the use of that word and ever being called as such. Partly why the deathrock revival came about.

Hell, even the current goth bands are more likely to refer to themselves as post-punk or indie rather than goth.

This pretty much goes for any post-punk scene or movement that's been around.

It's not about getting older, it's just about not wanting anything to do with what's it's become. However, there are newer scenes that develop as a reaction to that. While I have interest in these (indie-goth, hipsters in black,etc) I'm not just gonna jump aboard.