SOMETHING COLD presents: ADMIRAL ACKBAR DISKO

36370_453888496288_593051288_6019240_415327_n.jpg

July 17th is Admiral Ackbar Day in celebration of the birthday of actor Timothy Rose who played our courageous and trap weary hero. We at the Something Cold Social Club are honoring the brave Mon Calamarian cold wave style for an evening of dancing and decadence.

SATURDAY, JULY 17th 2010

MOTOR CITY MOVIE HOUSE

1604 Clay St, Building 1, Floor 5

Detroit, MI

DJ Justin Carver + Schizometric

MINIMAL-SYNTH | COLD WAVE | POST-PUNK | EBM | NO-WAVE | ITALO | NEW WAVE | TRAP-WAVE

10PM - LATE

$3

18+

Something Cold will be celebrating the release of FRANK (JUST FRANK) + AUTOMELODI's respective debut albums out now on WIERD RECORDS.

Wierd Records is proud to present the self-titled debut LP from Montreal's Automelodi. Lead by vocalist and songwriter Xavier Paradis who has long garnered a cult underground following with his solo minimal synth project Arnaud Lazlaud active in Canada since the late 90's, the band was formed in 2006 and is a welcome new addition to the international wing of the Wierd Records community in Brooklyn. Like labelmates Led Er Est and Frank(just Frank), Automelodi combines guitars with synthesizers and drum machines, drawing from a mixed palette of minimal electronic sounds.

The debut album from Frank(just Frank) from Paris, France entitled The Brutal Wave. The Brutal Wave draws from many rich traditions of US and UK guitar driven wave, minimal synth, early black metal and new indie rock from Brooklyn respectively - layering lush washes of atmospheric anglophilic guitars above a warmly orchestral analogue synth and drum machine fueled minimal electronic backdrop. Equally of disparate origins are the band members themselves, Chris was born in New Jersey and grew up with half-Indian Kirti in the South of France, although both were schooled in London. Despite such varied influences and backgrounds, Frank(just Frank) indeed proudly embrace the French pop musical tradition and present a freshly recontextualized version of the french cold wave sound, which might well be most appropriately called ‘La Vague Froide Moderne’ in 2010.

The star wars nerd in me makes me want to reeeeeaaallly go to this, haha

im sure the music will be good to, lol.

funny...i just watched some star wars today...

You gotta go, dude! Spread the word and bring in some friends if you'd like. We need to make this party a smash!

The star wars nerd in me makes me want to reeeeeaaallly go to this, haha

im sure the music will be good to, lol.

funny...i just watched some star wars today...

We could go togethuuuuur? :p

I still got to figure out how the hell I'm getting places on Saturday. I'm not allowed to drive my mom's cars to the Detroit area :X

boba_fett_21.jpg

Much more a Boba Fett fan (I mean come on he WAS THE Intergalatic asskicker)... but having Saturday off, plus never having been to the Russell, will probably check this out.

If it wouldn't look like we're a bunch of Star Wars obsessed nerds (which we totally are), i'd totally do one in honor of the Fett man in the future!!

By the way, this is Bring Your Own *insert* so feel free to bring drinks and food of your own to the event!

There may be a cash bar too I've heard...if you chose not to, or forget!