Download (with Ogre from Skinny Puppy), Plateau and more...

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet on the board...

SUBCONbeyondfest2010-web2.jpg

SubCon Beyond Fest 2010 — featuring cEvin Key, Phil Western, & Mark Spybey (all of DownLOAD), PlatEAU, OTTO Von SCHIRACH, Baseck, BananaSLOTH, & Bangalore — hits the highways and bi-ways of North America for the first time this fall!!

And Ogre of Skinny Puppy will be along for the shenanigans as well.

SUBCON Beyond Fest 2010

--CONFIRMED DATES--

9/24 - Chicago - Double Door

9/25 - Detroit - Blondies

9/26 - Toronto - NEU+RAL

9/29 - Montreal - Café Campus

10/2 - Philadelphia - Polaris

10/3 - New York City - Santos Party House

Wish it wasn't at Blondies... Thinking of hitting the Chicago date actually...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got there close to 11:30 I think, and cEvin Key was on stage with Phil Western. I assumed it was Plateau playing. I didn't recognize any of the music (I only have one of their disks and never really sat down to listen to it all that closely). About 45 minutes into their set, Mark Spybey joins them on stage, and I think this when they started to play Download tracks. I recognized a few of the samples being used in the songs. However, the three of them were up there together for only a handful of songs, so I'm not sure if cEvin Key/Phil Western played any Download songs by themselve as well. I checked Download's discography, and I was surprised how many disks they have released over the years. I only have releases through 1997, so there's a good chance they were playing Download tracks prior to Spybey joining them. I was chatting with Saint at City afterwards, and he was telling me that the prior time when he saw them live, they did a couple Doubting Thomas tracks which I would have LOVED to hear. Unless they started out with Glassblower before I got there, I don't think that was played either. It would be really interesting to see the setlist for the night.

Otto Von Schirach came on next, and he was entertaining as usual, but I was hoping he would play Whip Me Down or Laptops & Martinis but unfortunately didn't get to hear either.

Dead Voices on Air finished the night with a very ambient drumless set, which I consider "study/research" music that's played in the background while focusing on other things. Doesn't really have that whole live entertainment value you'd expect for a stage performance.

Overall, I'd agree it was a pretty unimpressive night, but I did enjoy watching cEvin up there with what looked like an old-skool Nintendo controller hooked to his laptop making cool swooping/bleeping/laserbeam-esque sounds.