Fave British Comedies

So I found "Are you being served?" on DVD at my library and was geeked, I loved watching this series on PBS as a kid, and it's still bloody hilarious.

So I'm just wondering what some of your favourite brit comedies are.

TV: Are you being served?, Who's line is it anyways?, Fawlty Towers (<3 Cleese), plus Benny and Monty of course ;)

Books: Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett are my Gods :innocent

Can anyone recommend any really good movies?

shaun of the dead is one of those instant classics

holy grail remains to be the funniest move of all time for me and as far as T.V goes check out coupling that show is pretty damn funny even though the american remake was crap

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all american remakes are crap.. as much as i love drew carey, i wanted to slap him for who's line.

i have to rent shaun, i'll probably do that after i'm done with Served.

there was a show over here. a mini series called oktober with stephen tompkinson in lead role

class series. not funny. but paranoid consipracy come supernatural drama that i will have to get on DVD

as regards comedy...

the goon show

red dwarf

books:

i highly reconmend spike milligans "adolf hitler: my part in his downfall"

the Office series 1 & 2 and the Office special ( the finale) are great and available for rent although i would not watch or reccomend the American versions-make sure you have the British version starring Ricky Gervais (2001), also the Young Ones is great. The British version of Coupling was also very funny at times and available for rent or purchase at most places in the states.

HeadWreck mentioned Red Dwarf as a great comedy TV mini series and it really is-Red Dwarf is also a great book.

HW has it.  Red Dwarf is one of the best comedy shows I've ever watched.

I've also like Are You Being Served, Fawlty Towers, and Black Adder.

Monty Python is just a given.

To diverge for just a moment, I rather enjoy the new Dr. Who series, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to love Doctor Who; I haven't seen any of the new series episodes but i've heard they recently started airing. I've heard mixed reviews-the format was changed quite a bit, is what I've read-no more trademark cliff-hanger endings, for one.

Just thought of a great British comedy film- 'Withnail and I' (Bruce Robinson, 1987).

It's about two London eccentrics (a poet and an actor) who wake up one morning in their neglected dope den apartment to realize that there is only a few months left of the 1960s. Panic!

IMDb plot summary:

London 1969 - two 'resting' (unemployed and unemployable) actors, Withnail and Marwood, fed up with damp, cold, piles of washing-up, mad drug dealers and psychotic Irishmen, decide to leave their squalid Camden flat for an idyllic holiday in the countryside, courtesy of Withnail's uncle Monty's country cottage. But when they get there, it rains non-stop, there's no food, and their basic survival skills turn out to be somewhat limited. Matters are not helped by the arrival of Uncle Monty, who shows an uncomfortably keen interest in Marwood...

The Young Ones

The Comic Strip

Absolutely Fabulous

Monty Python

as for books, can't beat the classics- Terry Pratchett (altho there's several I haven't read- I get bored with endless series) & Douglas Adams. Can't really count Iain Banks as a humor writer altho he's written some ov the funniest scenes I've ever read.

What's the movie where the zit on the dude's neck grows into a second head? I think that was more social satire than str8 comedy but I remember laughing all thru it.

forgot to add a few.

frank spencer in "some mothers do have them" same era as are you being served. classic!

as to Dr. Who the finalle was on air last week. :D FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC

there have been some dodgy episodes. but there are some gems to make up for it.

The Young Ones

Faulty Towers

Are You Being Served?

Black Adder

We have The Young Ones, Every Stoopid Episode DVD. There is an extra in the features of a show called Bottom. I laughed my ass off when I watched that!!! I've never seen it on DVD.

I watched the final episode of the new Dr. Who. I enjoyed it. I was never able to watch the others. Bishop assumed I wouldn't be interested in it.

I've seen plenty of Brit movies. Just can't think of them at this time. There was this one where this guy went to either a retirement home or a mental institution and taught them drama and they put on a show. It was really funny. I think that was back in '98 or so.

Of all time, The Young Ones.

Red Dwarf is awesome

The Thin Blue Line was decent

Bean is great

DANGER MOUSE!

Well as far as TV goes

Movies I like Snatch, 28 Days Later, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Trainspotting, Shaun of the Dead, um... thats all that comes to mind right now.

Archived