SOMETHING COLD Presents: YOU. LP Release Party

My Co-Worker just bought me A joy Division Record for Christmas (Closer). I was super excited. We were playing on a turn table we sell...I was happy :)

Oh man! So awesome. I was going to try and find your store today when driving home from East Lansing! I have Unknown Pleasures - but not Closer. Bring it!

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas has come and gone and the misery of drowning in a sea of debt, jovial Christmas pop songs and JCPenny trips is over. You're fatter and you're broke. Nothing says holidaze relief quite like a minimal-synth dance party.

Tomorrow night, join YOU. + BAD PARTY + TURN TO CRIME and the mysterious SIOBHAN for an evening of angular electronics, pounding drum machines and cold analog wave. YOU. is proud to celebrate the release of their debut LP via Blind Prophet Records (owned by Sean Ragon of Cult of Youth/Heaven Street records in NYC) YOU. has been been busy crafting their sound in NYC and ready to return to their hometown to do it up proper!

Justin Carver & Nocker will be spinning your favorite coldwave, minimal-synth, ebm, death disco, and darkwave cuts all night.

10PM - LATE

CAVE GALLERY (Inside of the Russell Industrial Center)

all ages

$5

Christmas has come and gone and the misery of drowning in a sea of debt, jovial Christmas pop songs and JCPenny trips is over. You're fatter and you're broke. Nothing says holidaze relief quite like a minimal-synth dance party.

Tomorrow night, join YOU. + BAD PARTY + TURN TO CRIME and the mysterious SIOBHAN for an evening of angular electronics, pounding drum machines and cold analog wave. YOU. is proud to celebrate the release of their debut LP via Blind Prophet Records (owned by Sean Ragon of Cult of Youth/Heaven Street records in NYC) YOU. has been been busy crafting their sound in NYC and ready to return to their hometown to do it up proper!

Justin Carver & Nocker will be spinning your favorite coldwave, minimal-synth, ebm, death disco, and darkwave cuts all night.

10PM - LATE

CAVE GALLERY (Inside of the Russell Industrial Center)

all ages

$5

whats a coldwave :p

Rev can vouch for this, the Cave Gallery is CRAZY. There is a brothel next door, as we discovered. The ladies from the brothel were coming into to see what our party was like, and vice versa for us. It was weird. Bikers came in on their motorcycles and drove thru the halls and into the brothel. But the Cave is great, its an adventure to find it!

ROFL...so a few of the people who came for Something Cold left with Something Itchy?

ROFL...so a few of the people who came for Something Cold left with Something Itchy?

Travis Galloway's band (Siobhan?) was insane. Pure tape-loop rhythmic industrial. He must've been on something, that guy was out of it. I still can't decide if fixing that curtain while the tape looping was playing was part of the act or not. So weird. Take that Throbbing Gristle. YOU.'s set was short, but very good. It makes me proud that they're from Michigan, definitely a real standout of what has come from MI in a long time. Pure analog synth goodness.

Nocker put on a GREAT set, I love having him spin alongside me. We work very well together and he always gets the crowd a moving and a talking somehow. Minor technical difficulties and only one accidental lay down of a 33 instead of a 45 wasn't too bad for a night. DJ faux pax's are fun.

Saw lot of friends there! I hope everyone had a good time. I want full details!

I think the brothel nextdoor was closed for the season. RIP

I think the brothel nextdoor was closed for the season. RIP

I was super disappointed there were no prostitutes, wtf! :tongue:

I had a chilly minimally fun time :jamin. My beer cooler idea was something awesome, FTW. I really like the fact that it was almost like a concert but not quite, like just the whole setup of the night is the oddest thing ever. It had a part club, part concert, part museum/gallery feel. Only a handful of DGNers, but they were good quality folk so I had fun convo. Also felt like I was going to be struck down by lightning for smoking inside of a building - take THAT legislature! The blend of people was what was also refreshing, quite different. Russell Industrial Center also = super sexy building. It was weird because when Saint was showing me where the bathroom was, I got SERIOUS deja vu. I swear that I was in that building sometime when I was a little kid, but couldn't place when. It's such an odd feeling when that happens, creeped me out.

I was super disappointed there were no prostitutes, wtf! :tongue:

I had a chilly minimally fun time :jamin. My beer cooler idea was something awesome, FTW. I really like the fact that it was almost like a concert but not quite, like just the whole setup of the night is the oddest thing ever. It had a part club, part concert, part museum/gallery feel. Only a handful of DGNers, but they were good quality folk so I had fun convo. Also felt like I was going to be struck down by lightning for smoking inside of a building - take THAT legislature! The blend of people was what was also refreshing, quite different. Russell Industrial Center also = super sexy building. It was weird because when Saint was showing me where the bathroom was, I got SERIOUS deja vu. I swear that I was in that building sometime when I was a little kid, but couldn't place when. It's such an odd feeling when that happens, creeped me out.

Oh...SEATS. Need seats. The place was really freezing, I was warned and expected that, but I ended up sitting on the floor until my ass/vag was something cold and I couldn't stand it.

Oh...SEATS. Need seats. The place was really freezing, I was warned and expected that, but I ended up sitting on the floor until my ass/vag was something cold and I couldn't stand it.

It was a little to cold for my taste (no pun intended) but I still had a great time.

Thank you to the people who came out to support. Here is my over view of the night

The place is super cool, but it was way to cold, something again there in the spring or summer or even fall would be neat. The bands I was back and forth with, "Bad Party" was the only band where I enjoyed almost every track (LMAO at the hipster pit) although I enjoyed parts of every performance. Also, seats would be a GREAT idea

Thank you again Justin for letting me spin, im always nervous but it always goes well, hope to do it again soon....and next time, there WILL be BALTIMORA!!! :jamin :jamin

There was drinks, there was smoking, there was music, there were friends, good times.

Edited by DJ Nocker

Exceptionally great time! Here's a review. I’m also writing this up for a Detroit based music/art blog….

Cave Gallery at Russell Industrial Center served as yet another specialized locale for what has become one of only a small handful of Detroit’s exclusive events spotlighting cutting edge music. Little can compare and few happenings in Detroit even comes close to a Something Cold event. Great music ALL night long. DJ Deadbeats knowledge of the cold wave genre is exhibited distinctly with great song selections from his huge catalog of (mostly vinyl) music. From spinning ©old favorites, into exposing new bands to the accepting ears of a musically welcoming crowd as well unearthing some wonderful hidden sonic gems, his entire set was noteworthy. Guest DJ Nocker also turned in exciting sets as well, flawlessly mixed while displaying individual DJ characteristics that make the listener immerse himself or herself within the music, waiting on the next song selection and often inquiring what was being played. Was nice to hear the unexpected. Nice to hear the adventurousness of both DJ’s and rewarding to see a good-sized crowd for a Sunday night engaged, dancing and focused on the music.

The bands last night were energizing as well. A good range of sounds presented. The opening band Turn To Crime shared some similarities to Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine) sonic textures. Bad Party unleashed the completely unexpected sonic punk. Extreme, loud and with a riotous frenzy reminiscent of Martin Revs and Alan Vegas seminal synth project Suicide. Awesome! Headliners You, despite it being their record release party, played an abridged set and still put an exclamation point on their performance. Paying homage to the early electronic pioneers like Absolute Body Control, Clock DVA, early Front 242, etc… their music showed certain adoration for their influences while still being stylistically personal.

Something Cold is one of the few events in Detroit showcasing innovative live bands and spotlighting progressive DJ’s. If you’re looking for the opportunity to get out and be captivated by an electronic environment that is a far cry from your ordinary lifeless clubbing environment, you owe it to yourself to delve into Something Cold.

Next event is scheduled for mid-January I am told…