ICP Love / Hate ?

Troy Spiral

I've never "really" given these guys a chance (can't name a single song, not even sure I'd recognize one). But it seems people tend to be either be fanatical fans, or despise them. Not sure why that is. *ponders*

Not a fan. Mainly because I hate clowns, other than the Joker, but who hates the Joker?

Another part of it is, I've heard a few songs and meh.

I don't hate them, I nothing them.

Can't stand them.

But as bad as they are, their fans are worse. I only know a handful of juggalos that I could tolerate. I dated one for a few years but that wasn't all she listened to. Her friends on the other hand would only listen to ICP and associated acts of theirs and only wear their merchandise (damn near cult like). When you have a person whose entire personality is based off of a record label you have a pretty big moron hat you're dealing with.

I thought they had one decent song - "Dead Body Man," and that everything else was/is a waste of time and effort.

having said that, I have to give 'em major props for coming up with what amounts to an entire way of life that's sucked in so many people. They're pretty much the Grateful Dead of hip-hop at this point, and I have no problem with them fleecing the easily duped. Hell, the Dead did it with almost equally shitty music for 3 decades.

Can't stand them.

But as bad as they are, their fans are worse. I only know a handful of juggalos that I could tolerate. I dated one for a few years but that wasn't all she listened to. Her friends on the other hand would only listen to ICP and associated acts of theirs and only wear their merchandise (damn near cult like). When you have a person whose entire personality is based off of a record label you have a pretty big moron hat you're dealing with.

:thanks:

well said, I went threw "icp" phase at like 18-19 than my ass woke up and couldn't stand em

I almost beat the crap out of the two of them before anyone heard of them. It was at the Disc recording studio and I was visiting my friend who worked there. She had to beg me not to kill them when they rubbed me the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...

I know some pretty intelligent older people that are ICP fans, but the "average" one that I've ran into seems to just a young kid that hasnt really made up their mind about much of anything exactly. Not that its fair to judge a whole community based on some of its members, but its also just as silly to not think that communities have tendencies (they all do). Reminds me honestly of "babygoths" that just happen to turn to ICP rather than the goth scene "proper" (ICP does have goth qualities like it or not). Pepole turn to this community rather than the goth one I think with good reason in one sense, that the ICP concept is focused around a band , and has specific meetups, were as there is no real "concensus" with the goth community and the idea of a goth consensus is nearly impossible to begin with. Plus many so called "real goths" cant be bothered to help grow the community. (again not true in all cases but its a common problem)

I'm thinking about it more from a sociology standpoint than "my personal experience." with it per se.

I cant stand them and I know nothing of them. meeting their fans was bad enough for me. Nothing like complete idiots hanging metal clowns with cleavers on their neck, left a very bad impression with me. The way they talked, and act, was enough to push me away from even trying to understand it all.

I don't like their music because it has a very apparent "educational standards gap", and most of their fans rub me the wrong way. The closest thing to a compliment that I can say is that there are attractive chicks that are ICP fans, but I often find that the same educational standards gap shows up in them.

I feel the same way, except anime.

I abhor anime to no end.

Anime just seems like to broad a subject to dismiss wholesale. Its just a medium of expression. There is dead-serious mature stuff for adults all the way through to things for 2-3 year olds. I do get annoyed with it sometimes lately though, not sure why, since I was an "early adopter" of anime , when I was in high school as far as we could tell only myself and one other guy were into it (and only maybe a couple dozen even knew what it was) now you can get it at Walmart.

One of the most fallacious ways to judge something is to use it's fanbase as a litmus. I was guilty of this as well. There are many great forms of media out there that have the misfortune to attract total assholes as a fanbase.

It says nothing about the quality of their product.

this is a common problem and I agree with the premise totally. Quite often I hear things dismissed based on who likes it, or who is selling it, rather than on its own merits. Hitler liked Richard Wagner... therefore he sucks... makes total sense right? hah

I don't like their music because it has a very apparent "educational standards gap", and most of their fans rub me the wrong way. The closest thing to a compliment that I can say is that there are attractive chicks that are ICP fans, but I often find that the same educational standards gap shows up in them.

I would say this "educational standards gap" is also apparently in other things, and I do tend to dismiss them on that basis, even if lets say there are certian aspects of <whatever it is not talking about ICP per se here> I that impression bout whatever the "product" is. Not that I couldn't learn to like such things, just , I only have so much time on the planet, if I get the "idiot" vibe from something I tend to shy away. (again nothing to do with ICP really , as I've done no homework on them.)

Back in the early 90s, when you had to buy their tapes with the different colored cellophane in them to differentiate them I liked them. This was up to and including Ringmaster. This of course was released in 94. By 96, I was bored with them and am of the opinion that their product has declined in quality over the 16 years since. I choose to leave them where they belong in my life, an early teenaged years experimentation that I grew out of.

Anime just seems like to broad a subject to dismiss wholesale. Its just a medium of expression. There is dead-serious mature stuff for adults all the way through to things for 2-3 year olds. I do get annoyed with it sometimes lately though, not sure why, since I was an "early adopter" of anime , when I was in high school as far as we could tell only myself and one other guy were into it (and only maybe a couple dozen even knew what it was) now you can get it at Walmart.

I don't care for any of the anime, I can't take what a cartoon seriously when it comes to drama and the like. It can be amusing at times when it is being silly, but that's about it. I hate anime for it's abundance and the fact it all looks the same.

It kills creativity when so many aspire to draw the same thing that has been drawn again and again.

It isn't so broad, it's all the same thing.

I don't care for any of the anime, I can't take what a cartoon seriously when it comes to drama and the like. It can be amusing at times when it is being silly, but that's about it. I hate anime for it's abundance and the fact it all looks the same.

It kills creativity when so many aspire to draw the same thing that has been drawn again and again.

It isn't so broad, it's all the same thing.

I'm guessing the artwork is whats giving you the "its all the same thing" impression. Grave of the Fireflies (two orphans children trying to survive during WWII japan after the U.S. Firebombing of Kobe, very serious/emotional) isn't remotely like Sailor Moon, as an example. Similar to say how Moby Dick is nothing like Harry Potter.

I do get the "over abundance" issue though, for some reason that rubs me the wrong way too, (I'm not actively watching any anime or reading any manga currently)

Back in the early 90s, when you had to buy their tapes with the different colored cellophane in them to differentiate them I liked them. This was up to and including Ringmaster. This of course was released in 94. By 96, I was bored with them and am of the opinion that their product has declined in quality over the 16 years since. I choose to leave them where they belong in my life, an early teenaged years experimentation that I grew out of.

Seems to be a common theme. I wonder why that is. Maybe just the quality degraded rapidly after their early efforts?