What Are You Thinking? (cont'd)

TronRP

27 minutes ago, kat said:

Don't want to do any of this stuff, work holiday party tomorrow and all the stuff going on in the next few days.

I'm using J's as a cop-out to avoid seeing family on the 24th.  It's not that I hate them, I just resent that they only really make time on holidays I don't actually celebrate.

Work is work, so I'd go and just do work if I absolutely had to be there.  If it were optional I'd just not go because I'd probably rather be literally anywhere else.  Most underpay and will stab you in the back to save themselves a penny anyway.

30 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

I'm using J's as a cop-out to avoid seeing family on the 24th.  It's not that I hate them, I just resent that they only really make time on holidays I don't actually celebrate.

Work is work, so I'd go and just do work if I absolutely had to be there.  If it were optional I'd just not go because I'd probably rather be literally anywhere else.  Most underpay and will stab you in the back to save themselves a penny anyway.

We get paid for the whole day to work half though tomorrow if we attend,  otherwise we have to go to our regular office and work the whole day.  They are apparently giving us like 250 dollars in gift cards too if we go..it's not mandatory but encouraged.and a catered breakfast so yay free food. 

Edited by kat

8 minutes ago, kat said:

We get paid for the whole day to work half though tomorrow if we attend,  otherwise we have to go to our regular office and work the whole day.  They are apparently giving us like 250 dollars in gift cards too if we go..it's not mandatory but encouraged.and a catered breakfast so yay free food. 

Okay, so a bonus to go and literally walk the line of social interaction and an uncomfortable meeting with H.R.

I'd probably still pass, but I can see where money and free food would be hard to pass up for many.

You could sell the gift card for money too: https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/make-money/side-gigs/ways-to-sell-gift-cards/  I'd much rather pay a bill than buy some crap I probably don't need with it.

14 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Okay, so a bonus to go and literally walk the line of social interaction and an uncomfortable meeting with H.R.

I'd probably still pass, but I can see where money and free food would be hard to pass up for many.

You could sell the gift card for money too: https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/make-money/side-gigs/ways-to-sell-gift-cards/  I'd much rather pay a bill than buy some crap I probably don't need with it.

Thanks for the link.  I really just want some free stuff tomorrow 😄 

I'm a social worker technically..(yea, gone back to my old field sorta) one would think I'm good at socializing but naw, I'm the weirdo who never knows what to say in fair weather conversations. I do notice my bullshit detector has significantly improved over time, though. 

Anyway,  I have my emergency anxiety pill and a pack of cigarettes for days like tomorrow. I will have to update you guys on the actual outcome..like do I really get the goodies. 

1 hour ago, kat said:

Thanks for the link.  I really just want some free stuff tomorrow 😄 

I'm a social worker technically..(yea, gone back to my old field sorta) one would think I'm good at socializing but naw, I'm the weirdo who never knows what to say in fair weather conversations. I do notice my bullshit detector has significantly improved over time, though. 

Anyway,  I have my emergency anxiety pill and a pack of cigarettes for days like tomorrow. I will have to update you guys on the actual outcome..like do I really get the goodies. 

I mean you better.  If they said it and they welch on it that might be legally actionable.  Or they'll try some cop-out bullshit like "no we meant that it was a possible door prize."

I think I messed myself up this year because I usually post "The 12 Days to Christmas" on DGN every year, but I panicked this year and didn't make the post because with so many returning DGNers, I didn't want to offend anyone.

Although I've been a member since 2012, I still feel like a bit of an outsider because many of the long-time members have a history together and know each other in person as well as on the board.

I hit City Club from 2013 to 2014 and was part of the revival of "The Gathering" from 2016 until the end of 2019.

Although I've been here awhile and I have met a lot of members, my social side still makes me feel like a newbie.  Mentally, it's a very interesting place to be.

large.1157545796_thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-050042713.gif

1 hour ago, TronRP said:

I think I messed myself up this year because I usually post "The 12 Days to Christmas" on DGN every year, but I panicked this year and didn't make the post because with so many returning DGNers, I didn't want to offend anyone.

Although I've been a member since 2012, I still feel like a bit of an outsider because many of the long-time members have a history together and know each other in person as well as on the board.

I hit City Club from 2013 to 2014 and was part of the revival of "The Gathering" from 2016 until the end of 2019.

Although I've been here awhile and I have met a lot of members, my social side still makes me feel like a newbie.  Mentally, it's a very interesting place to be.

large.1157545796_thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-050042713.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Maybe you're not a part of the original genesis but Troy had the vision to leave you in charge for a reason.  At this point you have as much of a right to be here as anyone else.  I just wish you'd make it to The Gathering again (and I really should go more myself.) It's really less BDSM and more like the old days these days, at least as far as I can tell.

I'm definitely not a newbie, still ostracized though.  It's okay my lone wolf style just makes me mysterious or something.

19 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

I mean you better.  If they said it and they welch on it that might be legally actionable.  Or they'll try some cop-out bullshit like "no we meant that it was a possible door prize."

It was legit. They gave us what they said...and there were mimosas, until they ran out of champagne. My first mimosa definitely not my last.

They had a bunch of games. We played uno. I won the first three games and I haven't played in probably 20 years, I had forgot how to play..it was fun. I want to play uno more now. Who wants to play uno?

Edited by kat

28 minutes ago, kat said:

Omg I found this and couldn't stop laughing my ass off🤣

Sorta funny but he can't rhyme for shit it seems.  Looking at the rest of his videos he has no real original ideas or shame  (man needs to put on a shirt!)

Gotta cash in on that WWDitS popularity that's all the rage right now though I guess.  Going through season 5 and the entire thing (including the movie) has been a riot.  I mean that's had some sticking points too, but obviously you forgive those because they're trying their best.

Here, have this instead:

Edited by Scary Guy

21 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Maybe you're not a part of the original genesis but Troy had the vision to leave you in charge for a reason.  At this point you have as much of a right to be here as anyone else.  I just wish you'd make it to The Gathering again (and I really should go more myself.) It's really less BDSM and more like the old days these days, at least as far as I can tell.

I'm definitely not a newbie, still ostracized though.  It's okay my lone wolf style just makes me mysterious or something.

~~~~~

Thank you.  That was highly enlightening. :thumbup:

With respect to attending The Gathering again, it may be possible again now that medical issues have stabilized and routines are in place.  Also, I had completely stopped eating out in public, but I am working on that.  However, visiting for the sake of company is also something I'm working on again.  Reading that article helped with understanding there too.

😊

I wish I had understood what it means to be a friend when I was in my study abroad program back years ago.  Even now, none of the American students, that I went with, will communicate with me despite my having contacted them (I eventually gave that up).  Although I was an introvert, I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone for them, but I suppose, being as young as they were, they didn't really understand what that took and I was forgotten about shortly after returning stateside.

I am actually used to not knowing whatever it's supposed to mean to be a friend.  I never had friends in Grade School (save one who moved away right as we entered 3rd grade), I was more the target than a human being.  I really never had any in Community College (just used to hear them talk about me brown nosing the instructors while in my skilled trades course).  Never had any at the University level as I was unable to keep pace with the curriculum so I slowed down as other students advanced and even the people I worked together with, when I was employed there, acted as if they thought I was trying to earn brownie points from the supervisors because I don't know how not to overachieve on the job.

I was blown away with the like-mindedness of DGNers while on the forum and then when I started making special trips to visit members in real life.  Then we started attending "The Gathering" weekly.  I still stayed somewhat guarded because I was waiting for that proverbial "other shoe" to drop.  However, Moe and I clicked instantly as we have the same sense of humor and mindset about a lot of things.  I eventually began opening up and socializing with everyone who attended.

Unfortunately, due to my long-term mindset, once I haven't interacted with others on a social level for any length of time, I feel like I'm not supposed to be as familiar with them as I was previously and that everything is supposed to resets to square one.  Therefor, I truly do feel surprised when people invite me places or wonder when I will visit again.

I'm sure there is a named disorder for that...lol.

4 hours ago, TronRP said:

I'm sure there is a named disorder for that...lol.

It's possible it falls under ADHD or the 'tism.  But yeah I know what you mean.  I always think of that scene from Fight Club about single serving friends.  Except those you mentioned last a bit longer, though they still seem to have an expiration date of on or just after that thing in your life (be it school, work, some club/meetup you both went to, or even an online game you both played that one of you left) ends and oh wow is that annoying because you actually liked that person.

Honestly it's probably for the best though.  I've made the attempt and put in the effort, if they don't appreciate that then fuck'em.  I've forgotten more people than I know at this point and the friends that continue to hang around online or otherwise are worth keeping.  Though quite often my dumbass will keep giving them chances, because I actually think they're good/interesting people.

I'm reminded of that analogy about people being like food and there are certain foods people just don't like.  Yet I'm over here all "JUST TRY IT, YOU MIGHT LIKE IT!" I can't make them like me though, nor should I have to change myself to fit their ideals since I don't ask that of anyone else (okay very few with good reason.)