What Are You Thinking? (cont'd)

TronRP

My psychiatrist office called and left me a voicemail and it sounded important so I called back today and I was really hoping they was calling to say they found a cure for crazy but it turns out they was just informing me that I was exposed to covid.

They offered me to go pick up a free test from the infected office. 

I have like 10 in my closet so I'm good.

Edited by kat

3 minutes ago, kat said:

My psychiatrist office called and left me a voicemail and it sounded important so I called back today and I was really hoping they was calling to say they found a cure for crazy but it turns out they was just informing me that I was exposed to covid.

Oof, hope you stay okay.  Also that you get past the sad.

Edited by Scary Guy

Yep son, I'm about tired of holding your hand.  My tour of duty is almost over and you just keep poking the bear.  I get that you know everything as you keep trying to correct the ones who have been alive longer than you, but don't worry, the world will set you straight soon enough.

I'm already crazy, I don't need to open another can of it.

1 hour ago, TronRP said:

Yep son, I'm about tired of holding your hand.  My tour of duty is almost over and you just keep poking the bear.  I get that you know everything as you keep trying to correct the ones who have been alive longer than you, but don't worry, the world will set you straight soon enough.

I was young and knew everything once, it was great.

1 hour ago, Scary Guy said:

I was young and knew everything once, it was great.

~~~~~

I'm around the corner from "Old Fart" status and I watched my Great Grandmother enjoying hers...and it was great.

😆

2 hours ago, TronRP said:

Time to sit back with some popcorn and watch the show with the boy?

Debating on ordering a small chainsaw from lowes to help with the jungle that's behind the garage. It doesn't ned to be big or expensive (or gas powered) and a hedger to help tame the grapevines growing in the back fence as well. Maybe just the chainsaw. I got manual clippers.

3 minutes ago, NocteSpiritus said:

~~~~~

Yep, and he will have the leading role.

His sister is in theater so she can provide all the lighting he needs for his "One Man Show" as the fat hits the fan.

I'll be the one in the top row, opera glasses in hand, behind the protective plexi with a bucket of popcorn, a drink and a megaphone.

:rofl:

37 minutes ago, NocteSpiritus said:

26 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Yep, and he will have the leading role.

His sister is in theater so she can provide all the lighting he needs for his "One Man Show" as the fat hits the fan.

I'll be the one in the top row, opera glasses in hand, behind the protective plexi with a bucket of popcorn, a drink and a megaphone.

:rofl:

Nah, this really isn't something to be celebrated.  It's never good seeing family or friends fail.  There is some satisfaction to watching them learn they were wrong, but hopefully they don't get hurt in that process.

The scary thing is when the safety net is removed and they get pushed out of the tree for real.  Some just stay on the ground and die.  I fully realize that would probably be me if my parents didn't care too much.

Then they grasp at straws, couch surfing and maybe find a shit job to actually afford some low rent housing.  At worst there is homelessness and starvation.  Then life is boring and depressing so you go out and find drugs because you desperately want something, anything to be different and take your mind off just how bad things have gotten.

School never did prepare you for the real world anyway, all it did was teach you how to follow orders and do work.  No it's goal has been to mould you into something acceptable for the workforce.  If you're lucky you go to a good secondary education school to make better money and help the millionaires make the billionaires richer.

1 hour ago, Scary Guy said:

Nah, this really isn't something to be celebrated.  It's never good seeing family or friends fail.  There is some satisfaction to watching them learn they were wrong, but hopefully they don't get hurt in that process.

The scary thing is when the safety net is removed and they get pushed out of the tree for real.  Some just stay on the ground and die.  I fully realize that would probably be me if my parents didn't care too much.

Then they grasp at straws, couch surfing and maybe find a shit job to actually afford some low rent housing.  At worst there is homelessness and starvation.  Then life is boring and depressing so you go out and find drugs because you desperately want something, anything to be different and take your mind off just how bad things have gotten.

School never did prepare you for the real world anyway, all it did was teach you how to follow orders and do work.  No it's goal has been to mould you into something acceptable for the workforce.  If you're lucky you go to a good secondary education school to make better money and help the millionaires make the billionaires richer.

~~~~~

Dude, have you met my family?!?  Maybe you just don't remember how crazy we are.

Out of everything that went on at The Gatherings, my nephew remembered when you told him that you were not his friend yet because friendship had to be earned, but that he could refer to you as an acquaintance.  He remembered nothing else much, except that, other people's kids, Troy going weird and the food out of 3 years in attendance.  The boy gets a bit self absorbed and only HIS show is airing.

We have actually watched other members of our family (cousins, aunts and uncles) go through everything you mentioned.  I even got reality handed to me the day I was told I wasn't graduating high school.  I found out quick about admin politics in grade school.  I did nothing for 2 weeks afterwards because of the hurt.

They "let" me graduate anyway.  Also, it would have looked bad that the top 5th student of the senior class was not graduating because they were late turning in 3 assignments that they were given permission not to do as they were winning writing contests and certificates in speaking for the school at the time.  But whatever.

We have done what we can as far as preparing the boy in every stage of his education and life.  He just believes it is a different way than what we say because he's never seen us do anything...according to him.  I told him he's going through life with blinders on.  He wants to prove me wrong.  I said have at it.

@kat and @NocteSpiritus got to experience his nature first hand.  However, kat just thought he was the cutest thing, so he held on to that a.k.a. meaning he believed he could do no wrong.

You need to experience him longer than 48 hours and YOU WILL UNDERSTAND.

But I will leave it alone.  I know what I know and have been living it for the last 18 years.  I feel no shame in my thought process after what we've survived through.  However, I did tell him that he is now in the adult arena and if it comes to it, I will not hesitate to get boxing gloves, lace up and give him a royal beatdown on the front lawn, like proper grown men.

gallery_4589_1202_145.jpg

Well at least he remembered me I suppose.  Really the point of that was for him to want to try to earn it from people, but if he doesn't care then why should they?  Really I view everyone as an acquaintance anyway unless we're actually hanging out at either their or my place, or something like that.  But that's getting off topic.

As far as everything else, as usual I can only comment on my perspective.  He was nice and well behaved as far as I could tell so I still want to see him do well, but as you well know whether he actually does or not is on him and you've done all you can.

14 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

I view everyone as an acquaintance anyway unless we're actually hanging out at either their or my place, or something like that.  But that's getting off topic

I used to have similar views. 

Then I moved to the middle of nowhere and started getting all my socialization from a neiche forum site. 

It was great. 

Edited by oXMiahGraceXo
Miss Lexia

2 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Well at least he remembered me I suppose.  Really the point of that was for him to want to try to earn it from people, but if he doesn't care then why should they?  Really I view everyone as an acquaintance anyway unless we're actually hanging out at either their or my place, or something like that.  But that's getting off topic.

As far as everything else, as usual I can only comment on my perspective.  He was nice and well behaved as far as I could tell so I still want to see him do well, but as you well know whether he actually does or not is on him and you've done all you can.

~~~~~

Exactly.

Sometimes people misunderstand my rants on the kid.  I never said I didn't want to see him succeed.  I just get annoyed when people see him and he gets the benefit of the doubt just because he's such-n-such age.  He got away with lying and stealing for so long because respectable people would say the "boys being boys" thing or he'll grow out of it.  I was a kid too at one point.  If you don't get in trouble, it's not wrong.  So how would a kid suddenly know the rules.  We even had a discussion about it later and he said when he lied, it made sense to him so he figured it was believable to everyone.  The limited World view of an elementary/middle school student. 😆

I was like the proud parent when we were out in public because he was good at showing off what he was taught as part of our household.  So he definitely knows when to "turn it on".

I just really hope he learns everything quickly so he can spend the rest of his time reveling in the knowledge.

8 minutes ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

Then I moved to the middle of nowhere and started getting all my socialization from a neiche forum site. 

It was great. 

~~~~~

I had :heart: vibes and 😄 vibes with this one.

And it was also great.

🤣

2 hours ago, oXMiahGraceXo said:

It was great. 

The problem with online friends is they're not always what they seem more often than real life friends.

2 hours ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

Exactly.

Sometimes people misunderstand my rants on the kid.  I never said I didn't want to see him succeed.  I just get annoyed when people see him and he gets the benefit of the doubt just because he's such-n-such age.  He got away with lying and stealing for so long because respectable people would say the "boys being boys" thing or he'll grow out of it.  I was a kid too at one point.  If you don't get in trouble, it's not wrong.  So how would a kid suddenly know the rules.  We even had a discussion about it later and he said when he lied, it made sense to him so he figured it was believable to everyone.  The limited World view of an elementary/middle school student. 😆

I was like the proud parent when we were out in public because he was good at showing off what he was taught as part of our household.  So he definitely knows when to "turn it on".

I just really hope he learns everything quickly so he can spend the rest of his time reveling in the knowledge.

I mean if he wants to play into stereotypes then sure let him lie and steal.  If he doesn't care what society thinks of him that's fine.  He'll end up in jail and people will have one more statistic to point at, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't really want that.

Racist cops also love locking up black people because then they can't vote or own firearms.  Maybe after many years they can try to get their record cleared and that has been happening more often which is great, but I still wouldn't want to rely on that in their shoes.  "What's this large gap in your resume?"

Again I hope it all works out for him eventually, but it's extremely hard to get through to someone who has decided they do not want to listen.

4 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

The problem with online friends is they're not always what they seem more often than real life friends.

I mean if he wants to play into stereotypes then sure let him lie and steal.  If he doesn't care what society thinks of him that's fine.  He'll end up in jail and people will have one more statistic to point at, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't really want that.

Racist cops also love locking up black people because then they can't vote or own firearms.  Maybe after many years they can try to get their record cleared and that has been happening more often which is great, but I still wouldn't want to rely on that in their shoes.  "What's this large gap in your resume?"

Again I hope it all works out for him eventually, but it's extremely hard to get through to someone who has decided they do not want to listen.

~~~~~

Just to be clear, the stealing and lies were about food and making up things that he thought fit whatever situation.  He was 9 to 13 years old.

I've had more run ins with the cops than anyone in my neighborhood and started to write a book called, "Driving While Looking Like a Black Man", because I was in a skills trade course and wearing my brother's clothes with short hair, I would get pulled over by the cops nearly once a week to once a month back then.  I was even frisked in front of my sisters house because something I owned matched the description of someone who had just supposedly robbed a bank a few minutes ago yet the only thing that matched was the color of my vehicle and I was just walking out of my sister's house to get to it.  However, that was during the 90's and A LOT has changed since then.

No, little buddy doesn't want to go to jail.  I keep him informed about too much of that stuff especially since my family is from the South.  You screw up once and your butt is thrown under the jail.  Our uncle went to jail for a crime even the cops knew he didn't commit, but big black man or small white chic...no brainer.  He was in jail the majority of my life.  He was in his 20's when he went in and got out near 60 years old with a destroyed leg.  The penal system is far different there.  He got out thinking he could send a cassette tape to various music artists to get a song published.  This was about 20 years ago.

On a different note, with the gentrification of major parts of Detroit, you wouldn't even recognize our neighborhoods anymore.  It makes people visiting the area feel safe.  But regardless, because we ARE Detroit, any crime committed anywhere near us, across the water from us, the next City over, a few States down....will all be the blight that is the crime hub of Detroit.  So no matter how much the City gets its act together, all it will take is one incident somewhere in the State of Michigan...Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, anywhere this side of New York...and Detroit can add to its ever popular reputation of being the murder city.

And yes, we can register to own guns here.

…not sure if you were joking there...😆

6 hours ago, TronRP said:

He was 9 to 13 years old.

Oh well then it doesn't matter if he's grown out of it.  Treating him like a felon and holding that against him forever.  What are you, our government?  :P

I'd love to read that book.  I'm reminded of the guy in NYC who was going to give an interview about how much he was stopped by police, and got stopped nine times on the way to that interview.  I really wish I could find it.  Have this instead:

Also this:

Edited by Scary Guy

43 minutes ago, Scary Guy said:

Oh well then it doesn't matter if he's grown out of it.  Treating him like a felon and holding that against him forever.  What are you, our government?  😛

I'd love to read that book.  I'm reminded of the guy in NYC who was going to give an interview about how much he was stopped by police, and got stopped nine times on the way to that interview.  I really wish I could find it.

~~~~~

He came to me to talk about it when he was 16.  I'm not one to turn people away because something happened in the past, else this board, Facebook, other social media, etc., wouldn't exists.  Analytical anything would be a moot point because we would all just live in "wolf thought".

I am for any type of discussion because this would is full of people wanting to be heard.  The last thing I want to do is send someone out into the world looking to get recognition from any and everyone.  That's a societal disaster waiting to happen.

I kind of wish I had written that book, especially the aftermath right before we got the new police chief back then.  After being harassed for sooo long, I decided to grow my hair and wear pink *shiver* when I drove my mother back and forth to work.  One day, on my way to pick her up, I sped away from a light to get up to speed, a full 30mph in a 30mph zone.  In my rearview mirror, I caught the glimpse of a vehicle swerving through traffic behind me as I was slowing down for an up coming red light.  While stopped at the light, this female cop speeds up to my passenger side door, looking like she could chew nails.  She snaps her head in my direction, motioning for me to roll down my window.  I rolled the window down and before I could speak she blurts out, "Your license plate is improperly displayed!", snaps her head forward and speeds off.  This was a complete contrast to what I was used to.

A few weeks earlier, while dressed in my work gear, I had been pulled over, in the middle of rush hour traffic on Woodward, by an officer, who had been tailing me for 3 city blocks, for claiming they couldn't see my license plate and had already started writing the ticket.  When he got to the window he says, "Oh, I'm sorry ma'am, I didn't see your license plate in the window until just now." (It was an Omni hatchback, you can't miss the window).  Because he had already started the paperwork, I had yet another report to take to the "nearest police station" to get an excuse order for, just to carry it around in my pocket for the next 6 months in the event that I get pulled over by yet another cop.  By this time, I had a collection of 5 excuses.  This was soon to be excuse number 6.

Driving in Grosse Pointe after hours was a whole other story.

13 minutes ago, TronRP said:

Driving in Grosse Pointe after hours was a whole other story.

I can't imagine, oh wait, yes I can.

So I was talking to Ted about the "old days" and he told me about something the cops would say called "NoM" which stood for "N****r on Mac" relating to blacks on the wrong side of Mac Avenue.  Not even a "sundown town" although if it was after sunset that was probably worse.

Makes me think of this:

And this:

Finally this:

Edited by Scary Guy

Yes, I've met the boy on numerous times at the Gathering. Do I want him to succeed? Yes, absolutely. Does he need a wake up call? Yes. Should it be a harsh wake up call? In my opinion, yes. He's been, as Tron put it, living in his own show and it's been easy going in his view. He's going off to college, time for some steps back. Start cutting off certain things. Financial funds (emergencies not counted here) once a month. Be like "this is enough money for rent, utilies, and food/going out" if you spend it all that first weekend. SOL.

That's all me though.