Makeup - HELP :(

My personal style, if I didn't have to work for a living, would be Marilyn Monroe meets Marilyn Manson... glamour goth.   Problem is, I DO have to work, and I work in a very conservative law firm with a strict dress code.

I manage to wear skulls almost every day (and have for years), although they are often disguised in some way.

My issue is makeup/hair.

I'm a natural blond with very pale skin.  I used to color my hair a deep purple/burgundy (black cherry) but upkeep was crazy and frequent, and I don't have the time, money, or energy to do it anymore.  So... back to blond even though I don't want to be.   Most of the time I don't DO anything with it, since it won't hold a curl so a ponytail, a clip, or something like that is easiest and most common.  Talk about blah.

But makeup?  I don't actually wear makeup very often, and haven't for years.  I never really did as a teenager, either.  I don't really know how to put it on effectively without looking like a clown or a hooker.  And as pale as I am, darker colors (which I like) make me look like a vampire which is not ordinarily the look I'm going for.

Ideas?

I love makeup but I don't like the high maintenance of it all myself so I'm a half assed at beauty stuff but maybe throw a few lowlights in your hair and if you don't really wear makeup just do some mascara and lipstick to start with and you could kinda pencil or gel your brows the color of your lowlights if you added them. I don't wear makeup alot either but the older I get I'm starting to worry.

Edited by kat

Just now, kat said:

I love makeup but I don't like the high maintenance of it all myself so I'm a half assed at beauty stuff but maybe throw a few lowlights in your hair and if you don't really wear makeup makeup just do some mascara and lipstick to start with and you could kinda pencil or gel your brows the color of your lowlights if you added them. I don't wear makeup alot either but the older I get I'm starting to worry.

Honestly, for me the worst part of makeup is getting it to come OFF.  I regularly get people guessing my age as considerably younger than it is, and I think that's simply because I don't bother with the makeup (I promise I don't have a portrait hidden anywhere).  Mascara is the worst for coming off, even with makeup remover.   Guess it's time to practice LOL

10 minutes ago, BadKitty said:

Honestly, for me the worst part of makeup is getting it to come OFF.  I regularly get people guessing my age as considerably younger than it is, and I think that's simply because I don't bother with the makeup (I promise I don't have a portrait hidden anywhere).  Mascara is the worst for coming off, even with makeup remover.   Guess it's time to practice LOL

I understand! When I wear makeup I can't get all my eye makeup off so I wake up with black sometimes around my eyes. I have used clinique makeup remover and that seems to be the best thing to remedy this.  I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful with certain things myself.  To be honest though if you just throw on some good face moisturizer, earrings, and keep your brows shaped and stuff you probably will look fine.  Sometimes that's all I do and I'm like screw it. Lol

Edited by kat

1 minute ago, kat said:

I understand! When I wear makeup I can't get all my eye makeup off so I wake up with black sometimes around my eyes. I have used clinique makeup remover and that seems to be the best thing to remedy this.  I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful with certain things myself.  To be honest though if you just throw on some good face moisturizer, earrings, and keep your brows shaped and stuff you probably will look fine.  Sometimes that's all I do and I'm like screw it. Lol

For eye makeup, I've found that CVS makeup remover works pretty well.  As for face makeup, good old fashioned Ponds cold cream from the dollar store is the BEST and it leaves the face moisturized and soft.  Earrings and other jewelry are a common thing for me, though.. I sell Paparazzi and I'm a walking billboard most of the time LOL

14 minutes ago, BadKitty said:

For eye makeup, I've found that CVS makeup remover works pretty well.  As for face makeup, good old fashioned Ponds cold cream from the dollar store is the BEST and it leaves the face moisturized and soft.  Earrings and other jewelry are a common thing for me, though.. I sell Paparazzi and I'm a walking billboard most of the time LOL

Ponds is a classic..yes..I have a jar sitting here now. My grandma used it religiously when I was a little girl so it always stuck with me. 

I have some no7 night cream after using one of them face masks they make I felt compelled to buy something else they made. I think I was supposed to get the line fading serum that's like their thing. Damn I really am more obsessed with cosmetics than I realized🤣🤣🤣

Edited by kat

1 minute ago, kat said:

Ponds is a classic..yes..I have a jar sitting here now. My grandma used it religiously when I was a little girl so it always stuck with me. 

I have some no7 night cream after using one of them face masks they make I felt compelled to use something they made I think I was supposed to get the line fading serum that's like there thing. Damn I really am more obsessed with cosmetics than I realized🤣🤣🤣

I have a metric asston of makeup and related crap, but I don't actually USE any of it.  I got rid of a bunch a couple of months ago, and always seem to accumulate more... thinking I'd use this or that, and then never do.

• 2 months later...

I think about it like :

I'm a man I know.  But I do use some minimal makeup.  Well "tinted moisturizer" which is sort of a super light foundation  (Neutrogena)  and whatever random eyeliner type stuff happens to be around.  Specifically so its easy to take off later and really fast to put on.   Whatever "Toner" is seems to take it all off in a flash, I have random el-cheapo bottles of it that I get randomly at stores on clearance or "unboxed" type things online which are dirt cheap. 

Daily I finally settled on Aveeno Brightening Scrub Clenser and Neutrogena Hylouronic acid moisturizer. 

Major spelling errors above.  Need to get the gathering cards done... lol  skipping the proofread. 

I stopped trying to put on a pound of makeup due to some of the above concerns.  But doing NOTHING seems like a wasted opportunity.  Minimal makeup can just make you look a LOT better without much work.  

I applaud the people that go for the gold and actually really do their makeup and clothes properly on a regular basis.  I probably would if I was female.  But there is only so much I can do without looking like a circus clown as a male.  

• 4 months later...

I started wearing makeup a few years back. When younger I stopped wearing makeup after I became disabled. But, even though it's been a relatively short time I seem to have picked up quite a bit of knowledge as far as makeup goes. I usually only wear it a time or two during the week. Mostly for the Gathering if nothing else. When I wear makeup I go all out because it's kind of fun to play with colors some days. I don't know if I can help, but if there is something specific I can answer I will be happy to. Just let me know. I'm still learning too. :) 

• 11 months later...