Price of living

Ok, so today I went to the supermarket to buy some sugar. I looked at the price of a 2 pound bag and it was $ 2.19....Hmmmm, I thought. So on my gut feeling I thought, I'll go to the dollar store and check. Low and behold, they had a four pound bag of sugar for $1.50. Way cool right? Anyway, as I was standing in line I tried to figure out how the fuck is one store charging so much for so little and another doing the opposite? I have to say shopping at dollar stores has almost become a way of life these days. My how the times have changed.

I love dollar stores! I buy alot of my household cleaning products there and other various things. There is this one near me that sells discounted pet food and supplies. I get all my chinchilla stuff there and they sell some food there....I got Wonderbread for $1.00. Also at some of them you can find cool candles and candle holders.

I shop at a grocery store called save-a-lot

white bread for 50 cents a loaf

lil-bitty-o's with meat balls

chochoa diamonds

lil chery pies for 25 cents that say "watch for pits" on the box

alot cheaper. great, but you lose the quality in alot of products.

some stuff you just don't eat from there. but you don't know till you try it i guess. :fear

I love dollar stores!  I buy alot of my household cleaning products there and other various things.  There is this one near me that sells discounted pet food and supplies.  I get all my chinchilla stuff there and they sell some food there....I got Wonderbread for $1.00.  Also at some of them you can find cool candles and candle holders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless you're brand-specific in your tastes, you're paying too much for bread at the dollar store.

Bread at Aldi's is .65 cents a loaf.

That's something you have to look out for at dollar stores. They're not necessarily cheaper than regular stores, especially on groceries.

I am fanatical about price comparing, so I have a lot of prices at stores like Super-Wal-mart and Aldi's memorized.

You can get 3 cans of Friskies or 9-Lives catfood at the dollar store for $1.00. But at Aldi's, they're .25 cents each - so you're being ripped off at the dollar store. And Wal-Mart charges about .30 cents a can, even Wal-Mart isn't as expensive as the dollar store.

Same thing with things like paper towels, toilet paper, soaps, cleansers, cat food, kitty litter, canned tuna, ad infinitum.

Overall, I've found dollar stores to be terrible values on foods & groceries.

(And I'd love the name of the dollar store where you found a 4 lb bag of sugar for $1.50. Even Aldi's can't beat that.)

Archived