Wonderland Village

http://www.wonderlandvillage.com/

Was wondering what the locals think.......

The interested parties keep coming and telling us about the great news....

I heard different.

People are saying that it is a bad idea, as it will bring the "Undesired" to the neighborhoods. To put it short. :confused (With the Wal-Mart idea)

I think it is a great idea, as it will bring shopping back to the area, create jobs, bring exposure to surrounding businesses, etc.....

I am almost all for it, this reminds me of something similar to a development in downtown Kalamazoo which impressed me greatly.

There is however one exception - WalMart.

Although, I am quite sure that they are in bed with Schostak on the project. I will not support any growth of the Wal-Mart corporation whatsoever. In fact, I could see myself involved in a campaign to protest the build.

To see why I feel this way - go to this thread: http://www.detroitgothic.net/index.php?showtopic=4898

Although, I am quite sure that they are in bed with Schostak on the project.

One company plans to develop an abandoned mall and gets retailers on board for the project... and this is being 'in bed?' That's a pretty loose and fast standard.

I will not support any growth of the Wal-Mart corporation whatsoever.  In fact, I could see myself involved in a campaign to protest the build.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's already a Wal-Mart down the street from Wonderland Mall. I imagine it will be closed and abandoned for the proposed "super center." Considering the declining state of Wonderland Mall, a slightly(?) bigger and relocated Wal-Mart seems like a small 'price to pay.'

EDIT: fixed links

i hate wal-mart....I like target better

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wallmart is evil. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wallmart? Talk about bland middle of the road mainstream shopping. That place is so devoid of signs of life it's pathetic.

If you're looking for that shallow, we cater to average, offended easily shoppers mentallity then wallmart is the place to go.

There should be an anti wallmart thread.

One company plans to develop an abandoned mall and gets retailers on board for the project... and this is being 'in bed?'  That's a pretty loose and fast standard.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say that because Wal-Mart is so prominantly displayed and embedded into the plans. It seems highly likely to me that they have a financial stake in the planning and construction of the project. Perhaps that there may not even BE a project without the giant.

There's already a Wal-Mart down the street from Wonderland Mall.  I imagine it will be closed and abandoned for the proposed "super center."  Considering the declining state of Wonderland Mall, a slightly(?) bigger and relocated Wal-Mart seems like a small 'price to pay.'

EDIT: fixed links

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, this all but defeats one of their selling points of the project. With a new, larger super Wal-Mart, they are touting all these newly created jobs (*cough* at lower than industry standard wages *cough*) - most of these jobs will likely be transplants from the other Wal-mart and will leave another very visible building vacant.

A couple years back (when I first heard the news of the impending close of Wonderland Mall) a gaming buddy of mine was proposing going in on leasing the building/land and setting up a few paintball arenas there. Unfortunately we couldn't get the startup capital for it. Woulda been nice though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure there are plenty of abandoned structures in or near Detroit that could be used for this...

Archived