Getting holes drilled into you....

Guest Game of Chance

I just have a funny little story to share about Nitrous. I know this painter guy. He owns his own buisness. Well they were painting a Dentist office once and his helper kept disappearing in the back. Well after the third time and him being gone for more than 10 min my freind went to go check on him thinking......ok he is so not just taking a shit. He found him slumped in a corner with the mask on his face! They got in trouble for it too.....the dentist checked the tank.

there was an instructor within St John Ambulance who was bounced out, he became addicted to entanox (50% oxygen, 50% nitrous oxide), as it is dispensed over here as a self administrating substance the technitian has to set up , take one breath to test and pass to the patient. this guy used to do his speal, let the people practice, while he sat and back with a tank to himself.

it is wonder stuff. i think my cert for administrating it needs to be renewed as with everything else i learned with SJAB

Nitrous makes me miserably nauseous. 

Ugh I have to go to the dentist too.  GAH *hides*  :fear

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nitrous makes me laugh. and then i hear my laugh and so i laugh some more because it is so funny to me.

and hearing the "wa wa wa wa" makes me giggly too. i don't know why.

nitrous makes me laugh. and then i hear my laugh and so i laugh some more because it is so funny to me.

and hearing the "wa wa wa wa" makes me giggly too. i don't know why.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I had my wisdom teeth out the dentist said SO! How ya feeling??

Me: Really dizzy.

Dentist: You're not feeling giggly?? :grin

Me: No I feel like I'm going to barf. Can we get this over with please?

when my friend got her wisdom teeth pulled she was 16 and had nitrous. she turned to the dentist and her mom and said "i have never been this fucked up in my life!" her mom said "oh really??" she doesn't remember saying it but she did remember liking it ;)

so steve, how is your mouth feeling now?

I have never had nitrous, was always afraid of it. I should try it I guess since the shots never work very well. I've had as many as five shots trying to get me numb and all it does is numb my face. I still feel all the drilling :(

When I get this next bunch of dental work completed I will have spent more on my dental work this year than I have on my car.

I have never had nitrous, was always afraid of it.  I should try it I guess since the shots never work very well.  I've had as many as five shots trying to get me numb and all it does is numb my face.  I still feel all the drilling :(

When I get this next bunch of dental work completed I will have spent more on my dental work this year than I have on my car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same thing happens to me. I drool like an idiot, but my mouth still hurts.

LOL

BTW, I had a great dentist years ago help me overcome the need for novacaine, at least in simple filling work.

I don't mind - even enjoy - nitrous. But I really get a lot of pain from the novacaine injections, and despise the hours of numbness that come after.

My dentist talked to me about it, and shared how more dentists would like to see novacaine use go away due to the cumulative affect it can have on their own fingers & hands. He talked to me about learning to relax and eliminate all tenseness in order to not suffer the discomfort that can come from drilling - which by iteself isn't really painful in a healthy tooth.

So I practiced, and got good enough to do it - and it was great. I take the nitrous, and work to relax all tension from my body so as to not "tighten up" when the drill approaches.

I would get Novacaine, however, if I had a problematic, painful tooth that required drilling, or needed a more invasive procedure done.

Guest Game of Chance

when my friend got her wisdom teeth pulled she was 16 and had nitrous. she turned to the dentist and her mom and said "i have never been this fucked up in my life!" her mom said "oh really??" she doesn't remember saying it but she did remember liking it ;)

so steve, how is your mouth feeling now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Much better thanks...I just saw this.

• 2 weeks later...

I had nitrous for the first time today. I didn't notice any effect at all. She even turned it up, kept asking me if I felt relaxed - nothing.

Fortunately the dentist numbed me up so much I wasn't hurting except for one tooth that needed a deep filling removed and replaced. That one hurt - owie, but not as bad as some others in the past have.

I had the discolored fillings in my front teeth removed and replaced. They look so much better and it's amazing how much better I feel about smiling now. :-) I just can not stop smiling today. (uh oh - there goes my carefully constructed gothy image).

Anyone else find that nitrous has NO effect on them? Does it help pain at all or is it only for relaxation? I carried on a conversation, didn't get giggly or "happy" at all. I'm a little disappointed, heh. I thought I'd be having giggle fits or feel lightheaded or at least something.

Nitrous always has the same effect on me. Things just go a bit watery. Not super-blurry, just around the edges. The sound of the machinery around me starts sounding... spinny, is the best way I can explain it. When the nurse/assistant asks me if I'm o.k., I'll either not be sure if she said something and ignore it, or let it go for a long time then ask her, "did you say something?"

It only relaxes you. Some more than others. It, by itself, will not cease pain.

I don't do drugs. But I freaking love Nitrous.

That's what most everyone has told me. I got nothing, not even relaxation that I could tell. I even breathed it in really fast for a few breaths when he was drilling to see if it would do anything but I felt nothing at all.

Makes me wonder if it was even on? Maybe the tank was empty, heh.

Guest Game of Chance

Funny you say that. My first thought after reading your post was that the tank might be empty. Also, slow deep breaths seems to be more effective than short quick ones

Archived